• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help on my new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smallghost

Registered
Hi all,

I haven't been around this forum since June 2003, so I think I miss lots of stuff. I would like to build a new system, here is what I plan to get:

XP 1800+ cpu
NF7-S mobo
HyperX PC3200 512MB ram
WD 80GB 8MB HDD - from old rig
Video card - maybe a Radeon, not sure which one

I plan to use this new rig to play FF11 and Half Life 2. I need some advices on what video card I should get. Does my build look alrite? Please give me some feedbacks. Thanks in advance.

P.S. What heatsink/fan should I get for this new cpu?

2500 barton instead of the 1800 and hyperxpc3000 is cheapier but uses the same chip's I think. SLK800 or SLK900 heatsink is your best beat with a tornado 84cfm 80mm fan or a smartfan2.

Not a bad build you have there. Good choice on motherboard. As for cpu the 1800+ is not a bad choice if it is a DLT3C. Otherwise go with the 2500+.

As for cooling the thermalright SK-7 is the best bang for your buck. The slk-800 and 900 give better performance but are more costly. Smartfan II is not a bad choice of fan if you are not sure how much noise/performance you want.

for barton 2500+, is there any specific stepping I should look for or stay away with? should I get OEM barton or Retail? I also heard that I need to do some mod on the mobo if I am using Barton, is that true? Thanks in advance.

Mod on the nf7-s and barton 2500 where for the earlier rev of the nf7-s just be sure and get a rev2.0 nf7-s and you should need to do the L12 mod. As for the barton the retail is the best beat IMO.

stick with ATI for HL2.

otherwise, not much to add... seeing two very informed members already said pretty much all I know (and more).

Back