• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mind boggling 9 flavours of FX/64!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cool...thanks for the news

looks like this one:

AMD Athlon 64 FX “San Diego” for Socket 939 package with 1MB L2 cache and dual-channel PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory controller. Made using 90nm SOI technology.

is the one to wait for :)

im still a little unsure about the whole integrated RAM controller.....weve already got DDR500+ will it be easy to get these chips to run faster RAM :?

Quote from article,

"AMD Athlon 64 FX “San Diego” for Socket 939 package with 1MB L2 cache and dual-channel PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory controller. Made using 90nm SOI technology."

I like this one for
- 90 nm SOI, the next generation SOI, lower voltage and faster by default
- on chip dual channel PC3200, which delivers max 6400 MB/s memory bandwidth, twice that of the current XP memory bandwidth
- 1 MB L2 cache

Question is: when and how much?

Last edited:
*whistles* My pocket book won't be able to that kinda hit is my best guess on pricing - based on current prices.

Looks like a lot of fun though..... I can't wait till these are all "mainstream" chips to have.

I also don't think that prices are going to drop too much - AMD needs money and *needs* to charge intel-style prices for their product. Inexpensive processors don't keep bread on the table for AMD any more.

Even when the FX drops in price if they still make us use registered ram we will be paying loads for it still. If I remember right some good Mushkin for it was like 250.00 per 3200 512mb. Everything about the FX pricing just screams Intel overpricing. Its really sad AMD had to get greedy.

get greedy?? they're only greedy if they charge 2x the price for FX... right now their price is only competetive with intel prices.. that in my opinion is not greedy.. Plus its not like amd has a big bank account and they can charge nickels and dimes for all their chips. The A64 is more than enough needs for most of us here and that will probably be priced in the 100s sometime next year

true 939 doesnt use ecc memory
also mobos will be cheaper as ecc memory makes them add like 3 extra layers to the pcb.so those will be cheaper also.

hopefully the 90nm process should make these ocing frieks.

the bad news:
i doubt we will see a 939 sandiego until Q2
90nm soi is hard to get right imo
heat will once again be more of an issue due to smaller die size.
still will be better than the xp's tho

id guess to say amd will have a $700 sandiego
but also a $300 lesser speed version for us poor people.
and yes this is what im waiting for also.

jonspd said:
Thread HIGHJACK

SUp deathstar long time

UNJACKED
ill try and keep it on track while explaining my absence.
i took the summer off to be with my doughter while out of school.
this let me sell my rig and start from the ground up once again.

eyeballing a 64fx 939 only,low speed and less price.$350 max for cpu.
or an unlocked multi 240 opteron if it ever happens.

i bought a laptop to do all my research on for the new rig.
guess ill be buying everything else needed,but a cpu/mobo for now.

almost went intel p4 800mhz as i didnt think amd would pull this off!

Well nice to see you back on here helping out the overclocking noob's around here. I think that there well be alot of new hardware that needs to come before I advance to a new socket mobo.

boredom is the number 1 excuse for expensive upgrades!
ill be helping out as much as i can tho.when ya dont have anything in a sig and peeps dont know ya, its kinda hard to be taken serously when giving advice.
thankfully not much changed in 6 months tho.

you know what im still ponder is , can socket 754 cpus be used in the socket 940 and 939 boards? i havent seen any info on this anywhere

cardboardbox said:
you know what im still ponder is , can socket 754 cpus be used in the socket 940 and 939 boards? i havent seen any info on this anywhere
no they cant,and a 939 cpu wont work on a 940 pin mobo either.
its not just the sockets have differant pin counts but the mobo is completly differant in each case,trace wise.

Back