• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 512mb or 1gb, need some help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xu5

Currently, i'm in the process of piecing together a good quality system. I'm going to be ordering a P4 2.4c and Abit IC7-G from newegg.com pretty darn soon, within a week. I'm trying to figure out what kind of ram and how much i should use because i do a lot of 3d graphical intense things, more so than the average overclocker.

I use the following apps like i'm married to them:

Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, Maya, Bryce 5, and Flash MX

I also game more than i use these apps as well. There is not a day that goes by, that i'm not playing with one of those apps for at least 2 hours straight. Even though, 1gb of ram would help me with those apps in the end i'm willing to sacrifice less ram (512mb) for a faster and meaner o/c.

I was thinking mushkin level 2 pc3500 ram but since you have to relax timings a bit to achieve a better overclock i'm dumbfounded in what i want to do here. I'm aiming for a minimal 3.4 o/c and no more than 3.5 but at the same time i will end up watercooling and removing the IHS on my P4.

Are my expectations too high? What can i do to keep my goal of 3.4 - 3.5?? and will having more ram hurt me in the long run, even if i invest in more expensive ram?

Note: Ram cost isnt an issue here whatsoever, as i'm willing to shell out $315USD for a "matched" pair of mushkin sticks...

have you looked into the possibility of a dual AMD setup?

look up the thread under AMD, cheap fast dual AMD.

the 760 chipset is getting obsolete, but looking at the applications you use, you might have more cpu power with the dual AMD setup.

if upgradeability is important, then your present proposal might be better.

Dont lose the ram. Video/3d editing are a couple of the few things that I've yet to see someone have "Too much" ram for. Even with a gig you might find yourself wanting more. I'd buy two 512 pc3200 mushkin level 2's for 280$ on newegg.

i appreciate your suggestion, but AMD isnt going to cut it in what i do on a day to day basis. Having photoshop, 3DS MAX, and even Maya all open at the same time like i normally have them, will be able to use the hyper-threading from the P4. Dont get me wrong i like AMD just not for what I do.

On the other hand, does anyone have any opinions or suggestions with my original post concerning ram?

Lithan said:
Dont lose the ram. Video/3d editing are a couple of the few things that I've yet to see someone have "Too much" ram for. Even with a gig you might find yourself wanting more. I'd buy two 512 pc3200 mushkin level 2's for 280$ on newegg.

only pc3200 eh? didnt newegg have a twin pack of pc3500? i could have sworn i saw it before but i dont see it now, i only see the 3200 you are suggesting.

I agree with Lithan on having 1GB of RAM.

as for HT vs SMP... I think true SMP works a little better than HT...

but that's just what I think.

it is your money after all.

I'm sure a 2.4C overclocked with the IS7 is also plenty fast.

Back