• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting a new system soon, need some help on steppings etc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siavash_s_s

i want an exremly overclockable system for use with watrecooling.
now what i have heard so far is that barton 2500 is a good new cpu for oc and abit nf7-s v2 is a good board (obviously the most praised board i ever saw)
does nf7-s have indicator leds? (like msi kt4 ultra)
also what stepping barton do i need?
any advise on any thing would be much appreciated (ram hdd etc..etc...) btw i dont have 300$ to blow on corsair super ram...

I would go for this RAM:
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=1085934&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

1700+ steppings make a bigger difference in OC than 2500+ steppings I think. I don't know if paying a premium for guaranteed 2500+ stepping is worth it. Either way, this is what will get you above average more than any 2500+ stepping: Power Supply Unit can take out all your other components. Many PSU manufacturers list specs that do not reflect true capabilities of their products so all info on the PSU label doesn't mean much except for the brand, just look for the brand: All Antecs (Channel Well) are good (Antec True Power is better), Fortron (Sparkle), Sirtec (Enlight, Vantec, Thermaltake), or more expensive Herolchi (Heroichi), PC Power and Cooling, or not as good but not dangerous HEC, TTGI, Zalman (Aopen).

yall are lucky
i live in the suburban hell of gimicks and advertising. i wake up to the radio ad quoted saying "get a power desktop computer with 2 ghz pentium (i think) etc..." there are 400w power supplies, but all are generic
there is ddr ram but thats generic too. i have to find a good supplier here....

There doesn't seem to be 1 end all be all 2500+ stepping but for the 1700+ and 1800+ you want a tbred B DLT3C.

The NF7-S doesn't have the indicator lights like the MSI. I Really thought I have had less problems with this board than any other I have oced with so I have not really needed anything fancy to debug issues.

Oh and if you live in the US there is quality supplier near you no matter where you are. Gotta love newegg.com :D

It might be worthwhile for you to have a look at this thread
apparantly, this German website got a AQZEA stepping 2500+ Barton to 2.6Ghz stable using AIR COOLING! They did use a very hefty 2.05v though. Even so, this seems better than what most Bartons are capable of.

keep in mind that although it is possible that this stepping is better than the others, it is also possible that this chip was one of those one in a thousand gem chips.

Back