• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2800+ max O/c ??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

passion stomper

Registered
hey guys

right i have a gigabyte 7nnxp and a barton 2800+ at the moment i have nudged up the fsb settin on mobo upto 169mhz on multiplier 12.5x my cpu not unlocked i got clock spped of

2114.3 mhz

fsb is 169.1

bus speed 338.3

im on a volcano 11 i heard the h/s is poo i have an old original amd h/s but i got told to put the volcano fan on another h/s i think thats what he meant but i think he meant put it on my original amd h/s is this correct just want to double check

right guys

i dont really fancy poking around on my cpu and putting wires in my mobo costs too much £105 for mobo and £122 for cpu so alot to lose if i do it wrong

but what do you reckon i would be able to adjust my fsb on bios upto before i do irreperable damage if you guys know what i mean?

here my system spec

amd barton 2800
geforce fx 5200 ultra PNY
2 x 512mb saitek pc3200 ram

if any more needed let me know

peace

passion stomper

Everyone's system is different there is no way anyone could tell you your max you just have to do some trial and error, if you keep your temperature down and don't let it go over 50*c than you should have no problems. If overclocking is too much of a risk for you then don't do it :). You can get a good idea of what your cpu can do here http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/

but correct me if i am wrong but if i increase the fsb on my mobo does it increas the fsb of the whole system and i dont wanna push something to far like my graphics card

thanks for your help though

passion stomper

Welcome to the Forums!!!

First of all, Bartons are already unlocked so you don't have to worry about that.

7NNXP is Nforce2 chipset so you won't have to worry about hard drive corruption either since PCI/AGP can be locked.

Most important thing before you start overclocking is to watch the temps. I generally don't like my CPU to be over 50°C during load. So watch the temp.

Higher FSB generally yields higher overall performance than raw CPU speed. Tighter memory timing yields significant performance as well.

Here's a link to a general overclocking guide.
link

I bet you can get to 200 FSB pretty easily. Take your time. Test. Watch the temp. Test some more w/ higher Vcore & Vdimm. Watch the temp. Good luck and have fun:)

I had the same exact chip, and I couldn't go over 169fsb. I think you're limited by that chip. I now have the 3000+ 400 (see my sig), and for some weird reason, it is an OC monster.

right im going to change the memory timings ill let you know ill try knocking up the fsb too thanks for your help

1 question how do i change the multiplier settings on this mobo ?

peace

be back in 10 mins peep with results hopefully

right i have bu,mped my fsb up to 171mhz and its fine my temps are 44 but my computer been on for the last 2 days dont no if that makes the dif it norm runs about 34c

i made my memory timings slightly tighter i think they are anyway they was summat like 8 8.8 cant rmember but its 7.7.7 or summat like that ill just post wen im back im gonna check my jumpers on me mobo see if i cant find the multiplier setting

now in the overclocking world shall i increas my multi or decrease then i dont have to change the fsb more if i put the multi up to say 13x as its 12.5 now will this increase my fsb ? and i think put more strain on the cpu rather than overall strain on my gpu etc.. ?

am i learning anythin am i getting there?

peace

passion stomper

i dont see any jumpers im looking in the manual i see a switch called clk_sw do i move that ?

I have the 2800 barton in my other rig and it is running @ 2.4 ghz with fsb set at 200 and vcore at 1.875. it has been running like this for the past 6 months. Also note that the mobo is a nf7-s and the rig is h2o cooled. the temps hang around the 32-35 degree area (depending on ambient) I had problems with getting the fsb up past 184 for awhile, then I bought some pc3200 hyperx and that was all it took.

ok i guys

wat i got so far is

multi on 12x
fsb 175 mhz in bios so on cpu-z its 350.8

im on original voltage

2108 mhz clock speed

temp 42 c

mem timings 7.3.3.2.5

how am i doing ?

I think CLK_SW is to change the default FSB. You don't see set of DIP switches to change the multiplier? Hmm... What if you go into BIOS and press CTRL+F1? That's where Giga-Byte usually hides the advanced settings...well, for my board anyways...

On stock voltage, most Bartons get to around 2.2 GHz... But booting into Windows is one thing and having it stable in Prime95 is another... Run torture test in Prime95 to see if it'll hold up.

ok i have that program what test i no the torture but there are 3 different modes to choose i chose the one that test a bit of everything???

passion stomper

Yeah, that's fine. I guess you found out how to change the multi setting...

Here's a general steps to take when you're trying to overclock your system. I wrote this quick one a while ago...

First, you need to find out what your max FSB is without CPU in the equation. Set the multi real low, like 8 or lower. Then set your memory timing to most aggressive. If you have PCI/AGP bus lock, lock it to 33/66 MHz. Now run memtest86 and see if your memory passes. Raise the FSB slowly if your memtest86 continues to pass. Once memtest86 fails, then raise the VDIMM one notch. Usually 0.1 V. Run memtest86 again. Repeat this step untill you can't go any higher w/ FSB. Most memory can usually take the highest voltage mobos can dish out. You can relax the timing of the memory to get higher FSB, but unless you get much higher FSB with relaxed memory timing, it's better to leave it at tight timing. Once you have the highest FSB, make a note of it. This is your highest possible FSB with your memory. Now, set the multi to something that will make the CPU run just a little higher than stock speed with the new FSB. Does it boot up ok? At this point, you can raise the multi and run Prime95 to see how high you can raise the multi and run the system stable. Once you get error from Prime95, raise the Vcore and try again. Once you can't raise the Vcore anymore or choose not to (because of heat), lower the FSB just a little bit. Run Prime95 overnight to see if it runs stable. Now, your new multi x FSB is your CPU speed.

right i have set my multi to 7.0 my fsb is set to normal cpu mhz fsb 166

i used the turbo memory setting on my mobo

which rasied it cant remember the timings i cant lock my pci/agp bus i dont think or would it lock it if i just set the agp speed to 66mhz or would me o/c ing it slowly push it past that and causes errors bcuz its gone past the setting for the speed which i set it to which would be 66mhz?

where can i get that memtest86?

thanks

for your help

passion stomper

PCI bus speed in excess of 38 MHz will cause corruptions in the hard drive. I try not to go past 36 myself. I'm not sure how or where in the menu your mobo will lock PCI/AGP bus...you might want to post it on the mobo section of the forum for that if the manual doesn't have clear directions... Although your BIOS should tell you what your PCI/AGP speed is as you change the FSB.

Google search on Memtest86 should pop it up right away...

how long do i need to let the test run or does it come up with errors in the first 5 mins?

asits run for ages

how can i find my pci bus?

Back