• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500+ AQZFA 0336

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a very new stepping, so it should do as well or better than CPUs with older steppings.

shiyan said:

so you are starting to believe in steppings then?

Apparently, you're confused. I always say that newer steppings are better, because the newer the CPU is, the better chance it has for overclocking. It's the argument that steppings help decode the CPU's overclockability that I disprove to people. Maybe you should read my copy/paste comments in another thread, because it clearly says that.

Akira283-IGN said:

Apparently, you're confused. I always say that newer steppings are better, because the newer the CPU is, the better chance it has for overclocking. It's the argument that steppings help decode the CPU's overclockability that I disprove to people. Maybe you should read my copy/paste comments in another thread, because it clearly says that.

is that so? I'm confused. alright.

of course there's always the spread in the overclockability of the CPUs of a particular stepping, so it's never possible to predict exactly how much an individual CPU's going to overclock. you won't know until you overclock it.

but, that does not make it useless to know the stepping.

if someone is after purchase advice or asking for an estimate as to how much people think his CPU should be able to overclock, then the stepping is quite important information.

of course if the person has already tested the CPU and found out it can do so and so, then the stepping info becomes irrelevant.

shiyan said:

if someone is after purchase advice or asking for an estimate as to how much people think his CPU should be able to overclock, then the stepping is quite important information.

Stop making me repeat myself: the newer the CPU is, the more potential for overclocking it has. Therefore, all you need to know is which stepping and week are the most recent. No need to analyze overclocking on a stepping-by-stepping basis, since that's practically impossible. People cannot estimate an overclock without being extremely broad, since every CPU, motherboard, cooling setup and voltage configuration is unique.

No one is making you post anything. You are posting whatever you like whenever you like.

Also, you have not accounted for newer steppings of the A core T-Breds. Your rule, as a general guideline, works for the most part. But it does not work enough for you to attempt to set everyone straight all the time.

Akira283-IGN said:
Stop making me repeat myself: the newer the CPU is, the more potential for overclocking it has. Therefore, all you need to know is which stepping and week are the most recent. No need to analyze overclocking on a stepping-by-stepping basis, since that's practically impossible. People cannot estimate an overclock without being extremely broad, since every CPU, motherboard, cooling setup and voltage configuration is unique.

you seem to miss my point. I'm not trying to analyse overclocking on a stepping per stepping basis, that would be very difficult. Only once in a while does a stepping come along which is significantly better. I'm just saying that the codes which tell us which stepping a CPU is is quite important when people need purchase advice or need rough estimates as to what it can do.

just like you say, newer CPUs have more potential generally.

but whatever cooling or mobo or voltage, the better cpu should overclock more.

and in general the newer stepping should be better.

and without the codes, there's no way we can say if it is a new stepping or not, can we.

Take an extreme example: say someone wants to buy a 2000+, and has not bothered reading the FAQs in regards to steppings. he asks whether he should buy it for $60. For all we know it could be a Palomino, TbredA, TbredB or Thorton. What are you gonna recommend without asking him the codes on the thing?

Although going from one stepping of a TbredB to the next would probably give very little difference, there's no denying that in almost all cases, a TbredB will overclock more than a Palomino. Without the CPU codes you can't tell the difference between the two - it's just a 2000+.

Same thing when someone asks how much his 2000+ should be able to overclock. which 2000+ is it?

Last edited:
I think there is valid points on both sides. Certainly the newer cpus seems to be overclocking better - this is probably due to AMD advancing down the experience curve and knowing how to make faster cpus with better yields. Indeed the greatest variation in a process will be seen batch to batch. However there will also be smaller variations as well within a production week for the same cpu type. This is why you see variations in the 5 digit code JUIHB, NUIHB etc for the same week as well as variation in the 4 digit code e.g SPMW - where I feel the third letter is related to default vcore or threshold voltage required to run at stock. A higher letter indicating a lower voltage and potentially a better overclock.

If it is a week 36 - meaning pracically *BRAND* new, right off the press, then it is almost definetely a good one.

What is the store that is offering them?

So when i consider "the newer the stepping, the better the overclock" theory, which makes sense, i should get this CPU.
I'm not sure if i'm gonna change yet, i wanna see how far my 2400+ can go first! :)

YviE

Back