• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does AMD have SNDS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacino

The devil’s advocate
Ok, I'm not into AMD that much 'till recently, does AMD suffer high voltage over time? .. for instance, If I'm running @ 2v and only get 28c full load, does that shorten the chip life to let say less than 1 year?

I hope the working man's CPU works out well for you.

hitechjb1's voltage commandments:

1. Increase of 100 MHz at the expense of increasing 0.2 volts is not recommended.

2. Assuming expected CPU life time is 10 years, 30% overvolt statistically reduces it to six years.

3. 30% overvolt for DLT3C's is 1.95 volts and for Bartons and DUT3C T-Breds, about 2.1 volts. (Remember to keep the on die CPU temperature under 65 C.)

4. Highest attainable stable Overclock cannot be reduced within months provided on die CPU temperature is kept under 65 C, however:

5. Cause of sudden CPU death may be:
- Heat
- Sudden voltage increase (instead of in 0.025 volt increments)
- Weak spots in design of a particular CPU which allow for exponential degradation with increase in temperature and voltage.

hitechjb1 said:
A 10% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 83% of nominal failure time.
A 20% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 69% of nominal failure time.
A 30% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 59% of nominal failure time.
A 50% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 44% of nominal failure time.

Nominal failure time is assumed to be 10 years at default voltage.

Last edited:
Thanks c627627. The reason why I'm asking is I lost a P4 back in March running @ 1.85 for 2 weeks only .. I guess I'll keep my Barton @ this voltage then ..

that is amazing! better than that AQZEA chip from that german review.

I bought an Innovatek kit once. I remember the quality was really good.

nice temperatures!

I have two twinmos 256MB PC3200 sticks in my sytem, and they seem to do 220FSB. Not sure at what timings though. I don't think they liked the aggressive timing setting of the NF7-S v2. It was probably the "optimal" setting.

unfortunately I don't have the Winbond chips on my sticks. I think it was something like M-tek or D-tek.

edit:

just checked. It's M-Tec.

For some reason I can't post over 215FSB .. no matter what memory is in there or what timing .. I'm going to place an order for another "random pick" of retail Barton and see if it's the chip.. dammit I WANT 3GhZ!!!!!!!! lol

LOL! .. I know I did, and I did my own benchmarks on my both rigs using the same video card to determine which is faster, besides memory bandwidth, my Barton outperformed my P4 3.75Ghz by 500 points in 3dmark 2001SE and 150points in Aquamark .. pretty impressive... I'm going to place an order right now for those twinmos ch-5 mems ... Thanks bro :)

Not at all. Enjoy the good life. Buying new ram for extra 15 FSB....nice.

Hey you know since $ is of no concern: when I talked about the RAM, I was talking from the cost to performance ratio, we tend to do that around here. The ram in question will most probably do 220.

There is RAM that will hit even higher FSBs. I suggest you look around the memory section for expensive RAM that will hit even higher FSBs. Post a thread or something. You may need North Bridge cooling for it but since you're on a benchmark quest...

I was posting in a thread of this guy who hit 250 FSB with new PC4000 RAM once... I know he hit 250 because I distictly remember being a hun'ert lower with my 152 FSB..

Good luck.

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

Last edited:
WOW if that performance is that extreme from 2.6ghz Barton

What will it take to outdo my current system....
P4 2.4B @ 3.34ghz 740mhz FSB

LOL sounds like a 2.4ghz Barton would toast it if your 2.6ghz Barton is toasting your 2.4C @ 3.75ghz with in an insane *** Bus Speed.

I've been thinking about ch5 mems for a long time, and now it came in question whether my OC is due mem or cpu... I can sell those anytime, so it ain't a money burn :) ... I'm not in the benchmark side, I just wanted to prove to myself which is faster / $$$ / performance ... I've read alot of [AMD Vs INTEL] BS crap / reviews everywhere on the net .. and kinda wanted to "see it" myself other than "reading it" ..

...so I says to him, I says

c627627 said:
As there is no "sudden death syndrome" in the AMD world, if your CPU is dead, it died due to overheating or it's core was physically chipped when you were mounting the heatsink.

Provided adequate cooling is present, even a 30% overvolt, that's 2.1 volts in your case would not damage the chip.

It would reduce its average life span from average 10 years to average six years, but it would not kill it.

Heat would.

Back