• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ram to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheba63

I want some good ram with BH-5 chips. I would prefer pc3500 or higher. I don't want any buffalo. My price range is a little over $200 for either 2 stix of 512 or 2 stix of 256. I will be using an abit max3. I want different ram because I can't even get mine to run at stock 1:1. Please tell me your opinions. Thanks!

It is good ram, especially for the price, but I have read that hyperx pc3000 with bh-5 chips will outperform the buffalo, and I am looking for pc3500 or faster.

Whether it's advertised as PC3000 or PC3700, if it uses Winbond BH-5 chips, it doesn't matter. Winbond BH-5 chips are 5ns chips, they take 5ns to complete one clock cycle. They are rated at 200MHz (1000/5) and thus will do DDR400. Anything higher then this is an overclock, and anything lower is an underclock. Mushkin Black Level 2 is the only memory promising Winbond BH-5 chips. With Buffalo PC3700 and Kingston HyperX 3000 said to possible have the chips as well. Anything else no longer assembles modules using these chips (Corsair uses Winbond CH-5 chips). Mushkin is also beginning to run low, which is why they did not use Winbond BH-5 chips with their high-performance registered PC3200. But all black level 2 Mushkin memory (of PC3200 and PC3500 given speeds) use Winbond BH-5 chips.

Back