• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigs

when i set the timings to 2-2-2-5, it wont boot, when i set them to 2-3-3-5 it will boot, i was thinking that i was able to boot with the former in the past but i might have remembered the speeds wrong. most people run 2-3-3-6 right?

First of all, rule of thumb:

tRCD + CAS + 2 cycles = tRAS, where the numbers go in order as this: CAS-tRP-tRCD-tRAS

Now, the last number, tRAS is what usually has to be altered. As you can see where I added '2 cycles', that is your buffer. The buffer can be 1 or 2 or even 3, depending on your system. You can benchmark if you'd like, but I usually just go with a buffer of 2. So in your case you would add your 1st and 3rd timings, and then add a buffer of 2.

In your case I would either try 2-2-2-6 (and if it doesn't work, crank up the voltage just ONE notch), or... 2-3-3-(6 or 7)

I have two systems built. One has Geil Golden Dragon Dual 2x256 PC3500 @ 210fsb 2-3-3-7, and the other system has Geil 256 PC2700 @ 166fsb 2.5-3-3-7.

If you have your CAS latency at 2.5 then you should round it up to 3 when you add it into the equation. Let me know if this helps, guy.

Also, I would appreciate it if someone explained to me what the Ram ration thingy meant (5:4, 1:1). I never got that.

Back