• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 and games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude_drew

Are these suckers good with games and stuff? I won't even think about one if I can't play Doom III and the other sweet games like that. Would it work with Win 98 or Me or somethin like that? Would I have to upgrade all my hardware like sound cards and video cards yet?

The advantage of Athlon 64 is it offers you full compatibility with future 64 bit operating systems and games. It is fully compatible with current operating systems and games.

It performs better than Athlon XPs. If both were priced the same everyone would buy Athlon 64.

Athlon 64 requires new mobo and heatsink, Athlon 64 FX requires new RAM too.

No worries with windows OS's with the Athlon64 they are backwards compatible.

Performance of the 2ghz Athlon64 3200+ exceeds a 3.2GHz P4 in gaming so no worries there either.

dude_drew said:
Are these suckers good with games and stuff? I won't even think about one if I can't play Doom III and the other sweet games like that. Would it work with Win 98 or Me or somethin like that? Would I have to upgrade all my hardware like sound cards and video cards yet?

Ironic how the A64 and FX are really strong in games, but most people who play games are unwilling to buy them yet at present price point.

I maybe wrong but I thought I read that the Athlon 64 has a 1600FSB to boot. That impresive!!!

AL Romero said:
I maybe wrong but I thought I read that the Athlon 64 has a 1600FSB to boot. That impresive!!!

I second that,actually i think its 400 quad pumped.

The new Athlon64 are a little different 'cause the memory controller is on die which means it runs at the same speed as the cpu core speed. pftthhh, 800mhz fsb!

so shouldn't the bandwith be much greater then the p4c's.......I mean with a fsb as fast as the chip it should destroy the p4c's bandwidth........as for the athlon 64 3200+ it doesn't require new ram....but it doesn't have dual channel either....but would that be that great of a difference?......wouldn't the huge fsb improvement be better then the p4c's anyway?....or is dual channel really that big of a deal?

corrected by AnandTech:

The first question many will have about our efforts to look at how Athlon64 will perform is how we can possibly compare an overclocked Opteron to a chip that is not overclocked. In the case of the Opteron, the comparison is more accurate than you might first think.

In normal setups (e.g. Athlon/P4), the CPU gets its clock from the FSB clock and multiplies it by the “clock multiplier” to determine how fast its internal clock should be. With a 16x multiplier, when the external clock ticks once, the CPU ticks 16 times. However, with the Athlon 64/Opteron, there is no FSB, so the CPU must get its clock from somewhere. It doesn't produce it internally; instead, it derives it from the native HT (HyperTransport) frequency, which is 200MHz, but because of the bus' nature, it runs at an effective 800MHz.

So, for our 1.8GHz Opteron 144, the multiplier is 9x, which is why raising the HT frequency to 222MHz increases the clock speed to around 2GHz. But we are increasing the HyperTransport clock in our overclocking, and not a FSB clock, which does not exist on Opteron/Athlon64. In real terms, this means our CPU overclocking has a significant impact on Performance, but it is unlikely that our increase in memory speed will have nearly as much impact on performance. Since we are nowhere near saturating the Hypertransport bus at 200 (effective 800), increasing HyperTransport to 222 (888) will not likely have much, if any, impact on overall performance. Our performance improvements, with Opteron/Athlon64, are mainly coming from increase in CPU clock — much more so than on the Pentium 4 or Athlon architectures.

Obviously, the PCI bus operates at a different frequency than the HT bus than the CPU, but they all operate based on multiples of each other, and are all derived from the HyperTransport clock.

does anyone else understand this, cuz you lost me after "in normal setups."

whats a setup....hehe

Windows XP supports 64-bit, I would suggest upgrading from Win98, because WinXP will take advantage of the 64-bit processing.

Windows XP supports 64-bit, I would suggest upgrading from Win98, because WinXP will take advantage of the 64-bit processing.

Motley said:

not all versions of XP do. Only the Windows XP made for A64 supports it (I think it is just called Windows XP 64 bit). If you use regular Windows XP, it only uses it in 32 bit operation.

64 bit of Windows is not available yet. It's due out in the first half of 2004. Could be March 2004, could be June 2004.

Microsoft will never get the bugs out of anything. Thay're too busy adding new ones. I believe the beta of Windows XP 64-bit is out, and there are several linux distros that support x86-64, or whatever the name has changed to.

there are several linux distros that support x86-64, or whatever the name has changed to.

It's still technically the 86-64.. but some of your distro's have dub'd it AMD64 or something like that i think just to bring attention to it..

Actually I heard somewhere that AMD copyrighted x86-64 as "AMD64" so that if Intel was forced to use it, they would have to swallow their pride and say: Yea, it has "AMD64" support...

Back