• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+ SAFE TEMPERATURE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdave69

im new to over clocking & i need to know the safe maximum temperature for a AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+ processor
any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Sensors are notorious for being inaccurate. People like to have them in the low 50s but max safe under heavy load (max temp) would be about 65 celcius, I'd say. Higher than that will affect the lifespan of your CPU much more than voltage increase in itself.

They say CPU is supposed to last 10 years. So if nominal failure time is assumed to be 10 years at default voltage:

hitechjb:
A 10% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 83% of nominal failure time.
A 20% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 69% of nominal failure time.
A 30% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 59% of nominal failure time.
A 50% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 44% of nominal failure time.

thanks c627627

im really concerned because even when the processor is NOT overclocked it runs @ 55 to 60 c
overclocked @ 2.11 ghz it runs 65 to 70 c
ive read that they can safely run @ 85 to 90 c
is there any truith to this ???

They can safely run but you will reduce the lifespan of your CPU so the word safe is relative.

You should not be overclocking with retail heatsinks.
They're supposed to only cover default operating speeds adequatly.

All copper Thermalright heatsink will allow you to overclock to 2.3 and beyond with no problem and at very reasonable temperatures.

In my op, 65 c to 70 c is unacceptable.

From what I am told the newer stock heatsinks are getting better. My experience with them has been horrid though. 65c+ is unerving to me, even if its at stock settings.

I agree that you may be able to oc with the stock heatsink, but investing in a quality HS is a smart thing if you are going to OC. You will get a good return on your investment in any case as it is sure to increase your OC :D

Plz if you want to overclock it send it this way frist or get a slk800 or slk900 before you fry a really good chip.

The max temperature published in AMD datasheet is 85/90 for Tbred B/Barton. But high temperature has adverse effect on CPU long term life expectancy, as discussed below.

Further in practice, at 65 C or above, the high temperature would slow down the CPU so that the gain in MHz per Vcore increase becomes very inefficient. It would be better to consider using a high performance copper heat sink such as SK7 and an adjustable high speed fan, the combo would cost about $25. The SK7 or SLK-800/900 should enable one to overclock a Tbred B/Barton to 2.3-2.5 GHz at below 50-60 C load, with a Vcore about 1.9 V. Good case cooling is important also to ensure reasonably low system ambient temperature.

hitechjb1 said:
Effect of high Vcore and electromigration on expected failure time for Tbred B/Barton
Statistically, for the same level of temperature specification,
A 10% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 83% of nominal failure time.
A 20% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 69% of nominal failure time.
A 30% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 59% of nominal failure time.
A 50% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 44% of nominal failure time.

So a 30% increase of Vcore reduces the 50% sample failure time to 59%. 30% over stock voltage for Tbred B/Barton are
- 1.95 V for DLT3C, such as the famous Tbred B 1700+/1800+
- 2.08 V for DUT3C, such as the popular 2100+
- 2.15 V for DKT3C, such as the Barton 2500+ or higher.

E.g. If the nominal CPU life expectancy is 10 years, for Tbred B DLT3C
- 30% overvolt to 1.95 V, the number would be down to about 6 years (59%).
- 20% overvolt to 1.80 V, the number would be down to about 7 years (69%).
- 10% overvolt to 1.65 V, the number would be down to about 8.3 years (83%).

As far as temperature to not having additional adverse effect on chip behavior from electromigration on top of voltage, it should be below the max temperature rating of 85/90 C (for TBred B/Barton). So using a temperature cap of 65-70 C is reasonable, since above which most CPU would be overclocked above the break-even point of 10 MHz/C for Tbred B and Barton. Further increase in voltage and temperature beyond 30% and 65 C, even if it is stable, one would get very little return in MHz, but greatly shortening the expected failure time. (Besides temperature is kept under 65-70 C, HSF, motherboard FSB, memory, PSU, ... are assumed not to be limiting the stablity of the system.)

For details:

Effect of high Vcore and electromigration on CPU failure time (page 15)

Effect of high Vcore and electromigration on expected failure time for Tbred B/Barton (page 15)

Back