• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I replace my 2200+ with??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wazoo

Registered
Last summer I built an A7V333 system with PC2700 Ram around an Athlon XP 2200+. I added a 9800 Pro a few months ago and I was planning on building a completely new system this fall but have decided to just upgrade my CPU.

What would work nicely with this setup and give me a noticable speed bump over my 2200+? The price/performance points look pretty nice on the XP 3000+. Would that work with my system (I'm an old Intel guy and not too up on AMD)?

Also... I've got a Volcano currently cooling my 2200+ and have never had great success overclocking. Should I stay with that cooler or use something else?

TIA,

Wazoo

Yeah, a good Thermalright heatsink is a very good investment. The SK-7 is really cheap now and is right up there with the big boys.

I wouldn't buy the 3000+. It's too expensive.

Before we even talk about it though, tell us about your current 2200. It might overclock well. Your best move might actually be to get an nForce 2 motherboard. Either way , you'll want to have a cheaper XP and overclock it to the 3x00+ speeds.

wazoo wazup, get a 2500+ Barton anywhere.

or

If you are in the US, there are only three known places to buy B's (when they're in stock) without paying a guarantee premium:

1700+ at gameve.com:
http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=267

1700+ & 1800+ (That's just the two of those, not higher rated CPUs) at this place:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010413
(click on 'next' at the bottom of the page.)

2100+ (that's just the 2100+, not lower rated CPUs) at newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...343&manufactory=1028&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

OEM's (not retail) are guaranteed.

wazoo: have you tried overclocking your 2200+?

replace the volcano. they are not very good. (7+ is the only decent one.) The Thermalright SK7 is great. or a SLK800 or higher if you can afford one. Those perform much better than the volcanos.

example the volcano 11+ heatsink I got was outperformed by my stock AMD heatsink, when using the same fan.

as for purchasing advice, I agree with what brennan77 and c627627 have already said.

brennan77 said:
Yeah, a good Thermalright heatsink is a very good investment. The SK-7 is really cheap now and is right up there with the big boys.

I wouldn't buy the 3000+. It's too expensive.

Before we even talk about it though, tell us about your current 2200. It might overclock well. Your best move might actually be to get an nForce 2 motherboard. Either way , you'll want to have a cheaper XP and overclock it to the 3x00+ speeds.

Well... I've gotten absolutely NOWHERE OC'ing my 2200+. Again... could be me as I'm not to up on the AMD chips... but if I boost anywhere past 138/35 or so.... nada.

The 3000+ does not seem too crazy expensive to me. Street price seems to be $250 or so. That is well within my budget for an upgrade.

Further, to get a 2500+ to 3000+ levels, I fear a noisy computer is needed. I gladly trade ghz for dbs.

Thanks,

Wazoo

shiyan said:
wazoo: have you tried overclocking your 2200+?

replace the volcano. they are not very good. (7+ is the only decent one.) The Thermalright SK7 is great. or a SLK800 or higher if you can afford one. Those perform much better than the volcanos.

example the volcano 11+ heatsink I got was outperformed by my stock AMD heatsink, when using the same fan.

as for purchasing advice, I agree with what brennan77 and c627627 have already said.

I've actually got a 7+.... but have had close to zero luck OC'ing. I'm running good Mushkin DDR 2700 ram... but just can't get any significant OC'ing out of the system.

Wazoo

Guys, where are your manners?!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
lol

I agree about the 2500+, esp if you are gonna start overclocking (I would assume so since you are here). Almost anything is better at overclocking than a 2200+ (at least if its an A)

check out ThermalRight heatsinks for good cooling (swiftech too).

the SK-900, 800 and 947 are around the top 3 HSs. (the SLK-947 taking the apple pie for for AMD- well I dont really know that put I would assume its better than its predecessor wich took first in these well preformed tests)

If your 2200+ is a Thoroughbred A instead of a Thoroughbred B (you did not post the codes) you're not going to get anywhere with any cooling because all A's are supposed to be overclockable to 2200+ plus a little headroom...

wazoo said:
The 3000+ does not seem too crazy expensive to me. Street price seems to be $250 or so. That is well within my budget for an upgrade.

Further, to get a 2500+ to 3000+ levels, I fear a noisy computer is needed. I gladly trade ghz for dbs.

well, I don't have a 2500+, but I don't think running a 2500+ at 3000+ speed would have to mean noisy.

they are basically made from the same design, so it is quite possible that a 2500+ could run at 3000+ speed using the standard voltages. They both use 1.65v I believe.

I am not a Barton owner, so I have no firsthand experience overclocking one, but from what I have seen on the board, 11x200Mhz using a 2500+ at 1.65v is quite possible.

Maybe someone else can confirm or disprove this...

I just think that you could save a lot of money and still get the same speed.

c627627 said:
If your 2200+ is a Thoroughbred A instead of a Thoroughbred B (you did not post the codes) you're not going to get anywhere with any cooling because all A's are supposed to be overclockable to 2200+ plus a little headroom...

Well.... like an IDIOT... I did not write down the specs on this CPU when I installed it last summer so I'm not sure which one I have.

However... I just found out that my A7V333 is only a Rev. 1.01... and thus I can't use Barton chips on it. So much for an easy and quick upgrade! ;)

So.... let's assume I need a new MB now as well to go with my 2500+..... any suggestions??

Also... any chance of OC'ing the 2500+ to 3000+ levels with low noise?

TIA!

Wazo

watercooling have u thought about that?? no noise ;) ... what about a Barton 2500XP running @ 2100mhz 1.65Vc with an SLK800 or 900 with a 80mm/92mm fan running 2000rpm? that wud be more than sufficiant to keep temps under 50*C when @ full load :)

gazzrawly said:
watercooling have u thought about that?? no noise ;) ... what about a Barton 2500XP running @ 2100mhz 1.65Vc with an SLK800 or 900 with a 80mm/92mm fan running 2000rpm? that wud be more than sufficiant to keep temps under 50*C when @ full load :)

That sounds great! I assume that I'd see a significant bump over my current 2200+ @ 1800mhz with that setup.

I saw that the SLK 900 (A or U by the way??) is a good HS. Since the 2500+ has a price around $85, I could get a MB and have a nice upgrade in the low $200 range... a real plus!

Any rec's on a MB? I know nothing about the Nforce chipset...

TIA,

Wazoo

My final answer is: just about freaking anything.

XP 2200B AIUHB 0251

Replaced mem with a new stick of Crucial pc2700 (Had been getting a few freeze-ups even at stock before I ever tried to O/C anything. Got it running stable with a stick of PNY 2700 so was able to conclude at least that I had a bad mem stick). No help.

New PSU-Enhance 350w Specs- 28A on 3.3v, 30A on 5v, 15A on 12v. Plenty.

Same mobo FIC AN19E

Good cooling-45c at load.

I don't care what you do to this chip-went all the way to 1.80v-this thing won't run stable at over 2.1ghz.

Running at 174x12~2098 @ 1.725v. After a couple weeks of tweaking, this still seems to be the best I've achieved so far.

300mhz is better than a sharp stick in the eye, I guess. But not bloody much.

wazoo:

Your processor is probably a Thoroughbred A as you say you bought it last summer, but it might be a B as I'm not familiar with when TbredB was launched.

If your processor runs stock at 1.65v, it is a Tbred A, for which the average overclock in the CPU database is around 2Ghz. If it runs stock at 1.60v, then it is a Tbred B, for which the average overclock in the database is around 2.1Ghz.

Before buying anything expensive, try overclocking your processor. If you don't have much luck, try getting a good heatsink+fan first, and try overclock your 2200+ again with the new heatsink. Then if you still aren't happy get the new CPU etc.

My old 2100 tbred B ran at 1.65v at default on 3 or 4 different motherboards and 2 different chipsets. If the label on the processor and box was fake, it was the highest overclocking tbred A I've ever seen in my life.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I ended up with a Barton 2500+ and an Abit NF7-S 2.0 MB.

Currently OC'd to 2260mhz.... but still tweaking.

Thanks!

Wazoo

oh nice. Put the Power supply brand instead of Win Xp pro in the sig.

FSB is more important then MHz so up the Vdimm RAM voltage all the way and see how high of an FSB you can get out of it.

Weak PC2700 do 170s, average 180s, good ones 190s.
Above that is rare but not at all unheard of.

Up the Vcore in 0.025 increments and this should be a nice overclock since you have an all copper Thermalright SLK900, one of the best heatsinks $ can buy.

Good luck wazoo!

Back