• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 166FSB to 200FSB L12 MOD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vejita-sama

Newbie about to attempt first OC next week. Buying a NF7-S v2.0 + Barton 2500+. Read the sticky for the L12 mod. There are appear to be two verisons:

1) 133FSB to 166FSB
2) 166FSB to 200FSB (posted by Login211)

I see this picture:

socket462.jpg

So I just slip a piece of 'telephone wire' between these two holes, insert the CPU, bootup BIOS, "LOAD OPTIMAL SETTINGS" save and exit. Login211 doesn't seem to have any way of telling that it works save that you can raise FSB (above 180) and keep the system stable (BIOS will still read 2500+ according to his post).

Question:

1) How safe is this? (the tread never mentions it or what could go wrong).

2) 'Telephone wire'? What type of wire are you talking about exactly. Do I just take a phone cord apart and pick any wire from it?

Sorry for the newbie questions (I tried to search but L12 is less than 4 characters and the engine wouldn't let me).

Thanks in advance.

well i tried dozens and dozens of things to get passed 181fsb and it just didn't happen

after i did the mod i'm at 220fsb so i KNOW it was the mod that did it... and it wasn't jsut some setting in the bios either... and i've never used optimal settings, i go over the entire bios myself after i clear cmos...

yes take the phone cord apart, inside you'll find to more wires covered in plastic, remove the plastic and you'll then find many very very thin copper wires, you need one of those...

on end of the wire goes into vss and the other end into ag31

how dangerous is this? well if you put the wire in the wrong holes something could go wrong but if you place it in the correct place, i don't think anything bad will happen cause i did alot of reading and didn't find any1 who blew their cpu or board...

Login211 - thanks, as I said I read your posts in the L12 MOD sticky. So I place the wire in the two holes as shown in the above picture. Sounds simple enough.

After I do this don't I have to reset the CMOS/BIOS in some way to get it to take affect? Or what that just way to detect the "133FSB to 166FSB L12 mod" was successful.

I guess it's just hard to believe that this 'simple procedure' results in a 20-33mhz stable FSB gain without having to raise VCore.

Ordering everything from newegg on Friday (payday), so weekend after next should be putting everything together :) Thanks again.

Well I managed to mess this up somehow, had to get the board fixed, and also CPU was dead. So now I am not trying THAT mod again. I am not saying the mod is hard to or dangerous, but I am just saying there is always a chance something might go wrong. May be the wire slipped out or something I don't know.

vejita-sama all this will let you do is gain fsbs, if you run it at 200x11(3200+) it WILL need more voltage....

after you do the mod, clear cmos, load optimal settings and start tweaking your bios from there...

be carefull that you cut the wire small enough and do not bend/unbend it much, i would say bend it only once cause after alot of bending/undbending it will break, or if it doesn't break it will definetly break once you pop the cpu ontop

you will have to slightly nudge the cpu in, it won't just fall in like it usually does... DO NOT FORCE IT IN!!!!

i wish i had a digital camera so i could take a picture and post it here but i don't :/

gl

sorry to hear about what happened to you G|-|oST, are you certain you place the wire in the proper position?

Login211 - thanks. So there's no real way to tell if the mod has been installed correctly save that I can raise my FSB. It's not like the 133 -> 166 L12 mode where the BIOS dectects/read at 166FSB. So it's

1) Do mod
2) Clear CMOS (jumpers by battery)
3) Start up PC holding down 'insert' key (this selects optimal settings are do I need to change that in the BIOS, then reboot one more time)
4) Make sure everything is ok, start playing with OC

Since I don't want to have to take things apart any more than needed as soon as I get the MB, I'll do the mod and install a Zalman HS on the SB (thermal adhesive).

Thanks a lot for answering all these questions. I just want to learn as much as possible prior to starting this project.

batrtons dont benifit from the mod. its for 133mhz T-tbred's only.the whole point is that nf7's seem to overclock better with 166 or 200mhz fsb cpu's - thats were the mod for the 133mhz tbred comes in. your barton is already a 166mhz fsb cpu.

unless your board is acting up, as login's appeared to be, it's useless.

i don't know if it was my board... i think it was my memory, for every good thing about geil golden dragon combined with this board i've read, i've read something bad... i just bought it cause it was dirt cheap... already sold it for a nice profit, waiting on some corsair xms to get back into the game...

i must say the memory was great after i did the mod...

Ok wait, I'm confused again. There's the L12 MOD for a 133FSB -> 166FSB listed in the sticky. But the picture above (from login211) uses two different holes and is suppose to go from 166FSB to 200FSB.

Or is there just no need to anything with the 333FSB Bartons? That kind of makes sense. I see people running Barton 2500+ at like 11x210, 11x220 all the time in their sigs. They don't mention the L12 MOD (either one).

I'm new at this and nervous about the whole process so I think I'll pass on the mod then.

Unless Login211 has something new to add/say :) Sorry for all the questions guys. Again total newbie, about to attemp first OC ever (ordering everything from newegg tomorrow).

Hey V-Sama....how did you go with the L12 166 to 200 mod?

I've got a Xp2500 and a NF7-s V2.0 with some XMS 3500 which can only do about 210Mhz FSB.............I've tested the ram on my friends Intel rig and it Max's out 231 MHz at C 2.0, 3, 3, 7.

I would love to run at about 225MHz

Bugeyes - I just got the system in the mail yesterday. Spent all of last night putting it together, installing windows and software. I wanted to get teh system total setup/stable first, THEN try to OC it as this will be my first time.

Once it's done I plan to post one of those 'newbies 1st OC' posts. I found those really helpful. I'm aiming for 210x11.5 stable, then run prime95 overnight.

Based on other posts in this group I should be able to get that.

vejita-sama said:
Bugeyes - I just got the system in the mail yesterday. Spent all of last night putting it together, installing windows and software. I wanted to get teh system total setup/stable first, THEN try to OC it as this will be my first time.

Once it's done I plan to post one of those 'newbies 1st OC' posts. I found those really helpful. I'm aiming for 210x11.5 stable, then run prime95 overnight.

Based on other posts in this group I should be able to get that.

OK mate no worries! One tip I'll give you though ..........once you have installed windows do all your overclocking experiments before you install all your regular programs because when you are pushing the CPU to the limit you run the risk of corupting windows! as you progress with your overclock windows may seem like its working OK but will fail prime95,...... so then when you back off and try a lower setting that you allready tested as prime stable....you may find that it will no longer pass prime at that lower setting!

But dont panic, you havn't hurt your CPU its just a windows coruption problem..........just format your hard drive and reinstall!

Thats why I now have a spare hard drive with its own copy of windows on it.........just used for when i'm experimenting with an overclock!

God if I corupted my main hard drive it would take me at least 2 whole days to reinstall all my programs ..............eek !

does this mod work on Bartons? I have a mobile xp2400/nf7-s v2 and can't seem to get pass 214fsb x 11. same goes for my 2500. i have dual channel ocz pc3500 EL. Those are good memories so I don't see a problem with them.

Thanks

Back