• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best RAM for me, and where to buy it (STORES THAT SHIP TO CANADA)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
The best RAM for me, and where to buy it (stores that ship to Canada)

I am an AMD user who is looking for RAM that will cut ~220 with CAS 2 , VDIMM 2.8 and will cost me less than $200 2x 256 sticks / $300 2x 512 sticks. The Hynix BT-D43 in my sig was a total flop (apparently it doesn't like nForce 2 boards - 'cause it only did 210 with tonnes of voltage and *really* lazy timings), and I have returned it as a result.

I know that THIS RAM is supposed to be good, but I don't know if this store ships to Canada, or even if this RAM will come with the good BH-5 chips.

My main problem is finding affordable RAM that I can have shipped here, or buy locally (Ontario). That means no newegg Mushkin for me... :( :eek:

I have a local store that sells OCZ - but only *really* expensive OCZ Gold which isn't reccomended for AMD boards.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
For $192.90 you could purchase 2x256MB Duel-Pack (512MB) of Mushkin PC3200 Black Level 2 (BH-5) memory shipped "FEDEX to Canada/AK/HI". A 1GB Duel Pack (2x512MB) will cost you $344.10 shipped. The "FEDEX to Canada/AK/HI" shipping option costs $21, no matter what you purchase, I believe. If you need to know any more then this (like whether their 2-week "like it or return it" policy is still effective for Canada buyers) you should contact their support.

Prices use the widely available Mushkin 10% Coupon ("DDRFALL"), entered before Check-Out.

Thanks for the great reply :)

Is this @ Mushkin's website? I am searching now.......

Is THIS it? Wondering if it is BH-5 chips or not... great price - and thanks a lot for the discount tip!!! :) :)

Last edited:
This is at www.mushkin.com - when they ship it you should get their "famous" air-bladder shipping method (notes on the site).

All PC3200/PC3500 memory of Black Level II 'brand' is promised to have Winbond BH-5 chips. Yes those prices were with the "512MB PC3200 Level II Dual Pack (2x256MB)" - which costs $191.00 w/o shipping nor discount. It costs $171.90 after discount (10%), add $21 for shipping costs.

dude you should seriously checkout NCIX.com.... they have a ton of selection for memory... mushkin included. They're straight outta B.C so you dont have to worry about customs fees and ****....

Canadian stores are even better. I'm in toronto Ontario.

I would also recomend NCIX.com for mushkin ram. Their prices are amazing, wonderful tech support, there is a forum for each product on their site and shipping is really fast. I only wish they carried Buffalo ram :mad:

Thanks again for all the links - I am going tos ee which one sells Mushkin Level II Black for the lowest price including shipping to here. I know that I *should* be able to find Mushkin in Toronto - but I have *no* idea where to look locally for higher quality "enthusiast" components.

felinusz, note that the prices quotes by speed_mechanic from mushkin.com is in $USD. you didn't explicitly mention that your $200 512mb limit was in $CAN, but i assume you meant so.

i also live in toronto, and i purchased the 2x256mb mushkin black level 2 a few months ago directly from mushkin when it was on a RIDICULOUS sale for $130(US) + the $21 shipping. on top of that, i believe i also had to pay a customs/import fee of something like $30 (ie. i paid canadian taxes on it). in total, it was still only around CAN$215 (this was when our canadian dollar went skyrocketing) so i got REALLY lucky.

i haven't found any stores in toronto that have the mushkin ram. i was looking at ncix before i eventually took advantage of the mushkin.com sale, however, 2x256mb dual channel black level 2 from ncix is $310 + shipping + 7% tax. it's probably still around there now. it is impossible to get this mushkin black level 2 ram now for <CAN$300.

some good enthusiast stores in toronto are bigfootcomputers (a bit pricey, but good service and have a lot of modding stuff/enthusiast stuff). the store that i always buy my parts from is infonec (one location at woodbine just north of steeles [basically 404 and steeles] and in 'sauga). they have prices about as low as canada computers, but without CC's ridiculously crappy customer service. i'm sure you've heard of canada computers and their customer service... infonec's service is really good, i speak from experience having used them as my exclusive supplier for building comps for me and friends for awhile. they don't sell mushkin, but they do have ocz... their reseller reviews are also really good.

if you do want ocz, you should also look into ramstore.ca. they're an exclusive ocz distributor, they have i think a perfect 10.0 in resellerratings.com, and they're located in richmond hill i think. in terms of ram that will do cas2 @220mhz, there's no ram you can get that will do this for <CAN$200. ocz pc3200el and platinum are all around $220-$240, and kingston hyperx is also around there. corsair is even more expensive, 3200LL is around $260 for 2x256mb. all these prices don't include tax, which add like around another $35... i sincerely doubt you'll find anything that will do what you want at your price range. it really sucks that newegg doesn't ship to canada, and googlegear charges like $70 for shipping or something ridiculous like that...

good luck

Thanks a *lot* for the store names - I know bigfoot computers well (It is the
....local store that sells OCZ - but only *really* expensive OCZ Gold....
that I mentioned - I like the place, and the staff, but not some of the prices ;)). I did some quick math and decided that when I get right down to it buying the Mushkin Level 2 Black from Mushkin directly is the best deal.

If I buy in a Canadian store I will need to pay taxes (%15), and the customs fees are less than that - plus with the %10 off it is around $260 Canadian before customs - the cost of the ram *before* shipping from NCIX or any of the other stores I have looked at.

I meant $USD when I specified price ranges :p I should have specified that - slipped my mind as everyone here seems to think in $USD ;)

Dude, you can get OCZ PC3500EL CAS 2.0 at Tigerdirect.ca for $188. I calculated with tax and shipping it will cost you about $225 Canadian for a 1X 512 stick, or 2x256 @ $215 before Tax and Shipping.

-Overcrocked

Ordered, Payed for, has been shipped, and should arrive soon :D.

Can't wait for my new OCZ 3500 Enhanced Latency to arrive!

and a pretty slick price for CAS 2 434 @ 2.5 VDIMM rated RAM with a warranty that covers overvolting - cheaper than Mushkin Black L II anywhere I looked.

Thanks for the advice Overcrocked

Re: The best RAM for me, and where to buy it (stores that ship to Canada)

felinusz said:
I am an AMD user who is looking for RAM that will cut ~220 with CAS 2 , VDIMM 2.8 and will cost me less than $200 2x 256 sticks / $300 2x 512 sticks. The Hynix BT-D43 in my sig was a total flop (apparently it doesn't like nForce 2 boards - 'cause it only did 210 with tonnes of voltage and *really* lazy timings), and I have returned it as a result.

I know that THIS RAM is supposed to be good, but I don't know if this store ships to Canada, or even if this RAM will come with the good BH-5 chips.

My main problem is finding affordable RAM that I can have shipped here, or buy locally (Ontario). That means no newegg Mushkin for me... :( :eek:

I have a local store that sells OCZ - but only *really* expensive OCZ Gold which isn't reccomended for AMD boards.

Thanks for any advice!

the Twinmos over memoryx is CH-5...
my Corsair pc3200 does 220 2-2-2-x

I noticed you said if you bought from the us you would not have to pay gst and pst.
Sorry but they will definitely charge you. Plus usually a brokerage fee.
I set up a ups account so i wouldnt get dinged all the extra bullcrap.
Another good Canadian store is vibecomputers.com
They pricematch with any online store in Canada and carry almost everything.
Its the first store in Canada that is almost as good as newegg in the us. I have bought over 15000 bucks worth of Computer stuff in the last 2 years and just found Vibe computers. One of the items i ordered wasnt in stock on friday when my shipment went out so they said they they would ship it as soon as they got it.
Lo and behold it was in today and they shipped it free. Then i said "can i add a copy of xppro to the free delivery" they said no problem and shipped that free too. Awesome. And the price matching is so easy there is no reason to buy anywhere else.
This place rocks.
By the way i don't work for them i just couldnt believe the service. You can actually get someone on the phone through them. They even phoned me personally to let me know my ddmaze4 gpu block was in and sent to me. Ncix is ok but they have very few guys that speak english properly and my rma was a friggin nightmare with them. PcCanada is good but doesnt have vibes selection.
Anyway hope this helps.
Ohh you can buy stuff from outpost.com in the us and they only charge a $7.50 cdn brokerage fee. And no other charges other than pst and gst.
Hope this helps some fellow Canucks. Ive gone through so much crap ordering stuff i might as well let the knowledge out there.

Thanks again for another *great* store reccomendation - I'm all set for the next time I need something (which is always!!! :))!

Back