• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best ram to use with Abit IC7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke Blackfist

I'm planning on building a new rig based around a P4 2.4C on an Abit IC7, and being a bit of a newb, need some advice about what memory will work best and give the best o/c.

What does dual DDR do, and do I need 2 matched modules to take advantage of it?

Any opinions and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

thanks

I know everyone has their favourite memory, but is there any extra-special reason to choose Buffalo over other brands?

Also, doesn't pc3700 run @ 466mhz, while the IC7 supports 400mhz?

Also, where can I get Buffalo in the UK?

Thanks.

Buffalo PC3700 is the recommended cheap-buy here simply because of the memory-chips used on it, not any brand recognition reasonings. The Buffalo PC3700 modules are said to have Winbond BH-5 chips (which are rated at 200MHz/DDR400), which are the #1 recommended chips for overclocking. It offers good increases in memory speed (varying on a myriad of causes; but should be good for 217-230MHz or DDR433-DDR460, sometimes higher) and the lowest, best-performing timings (2-2-2-5 or 2-2-2-6). Buffalo PC3700 is not promised to come with Winbond BH-5 chips, however, and the only one promising them, currently, is Mushkin's Black Level 2 PC3200/PC3500-series. Kingston HyperX 3000 and HyperX 3200 (NOT HyperX 3200A) MIGHT also have Winbond BH-5 chips.

Since you live in the UK, you might also want to consider A-DATA PC4000 from Overclockers.Co.Uk. It has proven to get high clock speeds (250+) with loose-but-not-loosest 3-3-3 timings.

The Buffalo 3700 is BH5, no maybe about it. It's just a decent BH5 in any event, but a gool deal here is in the states. Definately get something with BH5 chips for an Abit.

The Kingston HyperX3000 is BH5, and is performing best on the Abits. The HyperX 3200 (non-"A") is just as good, but costlier. The Hyperx 3200A and the 3500 are CH5 and to be avoided. Corsair doesn't make anything with BH5s that I know of. The HyperX 2700 rated at 2-2-2-5 1T is reputed to be BH5, and while I have no reason to doubt it, I haven't seen it proven yet. And of course the Mushkin PC3500 Level 2 is a BH5, but costs a fortune.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:

Since you live in the UK, you might also want to consider A-DATA PC4000 from Overclockers.Co.Uk. It has proven to get high clock speeds (250+) with loose-but-not-loosest 3-3-3 timings.

Cas3 is useless. many prominent members of this forum and others have done extensive testing on the subject. even cas2 @230fsb is superior to 250fsb at cas2.5. The p4 simply cannot take advantage of the greater bandwidth. ask anyone on the first page for 3dmark. your highest clockspeed at cas2 is the only thing that matters.

currently the best memory on the market is either

Mushkin Level 2 DDR PC3500 CAS 2-2-2

or

Geil pc4200

Cool, thanks dude. Again, not being mega-clued up about memory and timings, it's something I'll be reading up on before purchasing.

Will pc4000 actually work with the Abit IC7? Specs I've read say it supports DDR400. pc4000 is DDR500, right? And if the board is dual channel, I'd do better to get 2 modules of my chosen memory, right?

What about getting Winbond brand memory?

Thanks again.

i would say go with adata ram i love mine its not doing that bad for only pc3200 maybe the pc4000 is as good even tho abit only says pc3200 ddr400, ddr500 pc4000 would be fine

well, looks like I might as well steer clear of cas 3, and I am on a budget, being a student and all, so adata looks kind of appealing.

now, if I could just decide on a graphics card:)

CAS Latency timings of 3.0 and 2.5 matter much less then increases in RAS-CAS-Delay and RAS Precharge timing. Therefore the differance between 3-3-3 and 3-4-4 is significant, while 3-3-3 outperforms 2.5-4-4 (tCL-tRCD-tRP).

Also, some A-DATA PC3200 modules are known to use Winbond BH-5 chips. Although it is unknowned (at least by anyone I've heard here) anything about A-DATA PC3200 from Overclockers.Co.Uk still having Winbond BH-5 chips. A-DATA DDR450 also has had some large bandwidth success, although I'm not too sure of the timings.

Whenever I say "maybe" or "might" in referance to whether or not Winbond BH-5 chips are found in HyperX 300/3200 (2-2-2 model) or Buffalo PC3700 is simply the fact that there is no promise by either manufacturer, so therefore no promise can be explictly made on these forums. Although the fact that your get Winbond BH-5 chips can be very likely.

Last edited:
Duke Blackfist said:
And if the board is dual channel, I'd do better to get 2 modules of my chosen memory, right?

correct

Duke Blackfist said:
What about getting Winbond brand memory
[/B]

winbond produces modules used by memory companies. it is not a brand. similar to comparing oem companies like dell and alienware. the memory manufacture does mean somthing but the module used in the actual chip is more important.

how much u got to spend on a gcard lol i just upgraded from a ti4200 to a 9700np and im only 17 i got a sh** job in homebase lol (DIY store for u USA ppl) lol

difficult to say... me and my girlfriend are looking to blow about £750 (£375 each) in total (at the VERY most) on everything needed to build a new rig, excluding case, floppy and cd drives, so it'll be whatever we can afford.

why do you say that, Steven? basically I'm attracted by the reputed overclockability of the p4 2.4c, and also I want 2 hdd to set up as raid 0, and mobo with onboard lan, usb2, 1394, sound and all the other useful stuff u need every day.

I say go with hynix if u don't care about timing. They said its rated at c3 but I'm running them on c2.5 rite now stable. These are way cheaper than buffalo and will probaly out perform the 3700 buffalo in terms of fsb.

Back