• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2700(333MHZ)Dual Channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LSWONZ28

Hello,
I have 2 sticks of 512MB Corsair XMS DDR 333MHZ memory and was wondering if you can run 333MHZ memory in Dual Channel mode?Didnt know if it was just for 400MHZ.
Thanks

In order for it to work you must have a motherboard that supports it (which one do you have?) and the "sets" of RAM are supposed to be "matched" from the factory or you can run into problems.

so when I buy my ram, I need to make sure that it says matched? There's a chance I'll have problems if I just buy 2 sticks that aren't sold as a "matched pair"?

Duke Blackfist said:
so when I buy my ram, I need to make sure that it says matched? There's a chance I'll have problems if I just buy 2 sticks that aren't sold as a "matched pair"?

The link below is just a simple example. It states that the "Best Performance" is gained by matched sets.

LINK

I don't think you "have" to but it is just recommended from everyone including the motherboard manufactures.

Also as I stated above, your motherboard must support this and for the XP there are not many chipsets that do right now.

LSWONZ28 said:
Hello,
I have 2 sticks of 512MB Corsair XMS DDR 333MHZ memory and was wondering if you can run 333MHZ memory in Dual Channel mode?Didnt know if it was just for 400MHZ.
Thanks

To answer your question you do not need to have 400MHz memory. As a matter of fact many places state that the DDR 333MHz is actually better and supported to a greater extent. Something to do with the quality of may 400MHz DDR Sticks, but don't quote me on that.

you dont need to buy it as a dual channel pair imo, just get 2 sticks of same capacity, and speed, and you will be set. That is what i do, and havent had a problem at all, and to answer your question, dual channel boards(at least nforce 2) supports dual channel anywhere from 200 - 400mhz fsb. dont know about the intel chipsets. but i assume it would be the same, except for different fsb frequencies.

you dont need to buy it as a dual channel pair imo, just get 2 sticks of same capacity, and speed, and you will be set.

Not really. You may get lucky and get some that work together but there is a good chance they wont. Matched means they were tested and equal to spec, this may not be the best but they are equal.

I am going through having to RMA over and over to get a stick that equals the one I am running now. Its best to buy matched sets to save time and money. The amount of money I have spent on shipping costs is almost equal to what I would have spent to buy a matched pair.

wannaoc said:

I am going through having to RMA over and over to get a stick that equals the one I am running now.

I have never actually had any DualDDR, how do you know if it is a "Match" or not? I am just wondering.

Back