• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit nf7-s memory prob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ple

This will be my first post here and i must say that this forum is great. Well on to my problem, I recently got myself a new abit nf7-s and a barton 2500+ to upgrade my system by. When I tried to install windows xp a blue screen popped. I tried to reinstall and the problem keeps occuring. On the blue screen it states that the problem is memory management or page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. Two different problem but with the same blue screen. Could this be because I have bad ram? The ram I am using is crucial pc2700 and my hdd is a maxtor 60g. Any type of help will be really appreciated.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

it could be the memory...

i'm assuming you have not done any overclocking yet?

in the bios, make sure you tell it you got a barton2500+, set your fsb/dram ratio to 1/1(6/6,3/3...)

what psu are you using?

also i would suggest setting your memory timings to optimal or spd...

I took out one of my ram chips so now i have only 1 512 chip in and it runs fine. I managed to install windows and no blue screen yet. I don't know why that is, but hopefully its not my socket that is messed up.

i think it's your psu... it may not have enough power to have more ram in the computer and run properly....

or maybe you were running in dual channel mode and it didn't like that...

put your memory in slot 1 and slot 2(slot 1 being the closest to the cpu...)

post your specs... memory, psu....

ok so my specs are abit nf7-s 2.0 wit latest bios 2500+ aqxea running at default 512mb pc2700 crucial running at default leadtek geforce 4 128mb running at default thermaltake volcano 9 and a generic psu 420w that came with the case

I had the rams in slots 1 and 2 when i had the problem so I removed the one in slot 2 and now there is no more memory problem but now i get two lights on my mobo a green and a red next to each other. I tried looking in the book to see why they are there but i havn't found any info. Is the red light on because i have something wrong? So far i am able to install everything and all my games run fine but i miss having that extra 512 in.

the red light is just an indicator that the motherboard is getting power.

if you think you might have a bad stick of memory or want to test if it's stable in dual channel then try running memtest86 www.memtest86.com
it runs from it's own bootable floppy so there's virtually no chance of hard drive corruption, and memtest86 is pretty reliable for testing ram. (also useful for testing different slots to see if it's the motherboard or the ram thats bad)

install hardware doctor, it came on the motherboard cd, and check your psu...

test out the other stick that is not currently in the board, i wouldn't be surprised if it works...

I installed the hardware monitor and it says that the vio voltage is low. What is this vio voltage? I checked the help file and it doesn't have it in there. Would this be the problem of me not being able to run with 2 sticks of ram?

that's your 3.3V rail i believe...

i have no idea if that is what's causing your problems, someone who knows more about psus will have to answer that one...

how low is it? what's it at right now?

I dunno either but the volt right now is 3.04 and the safe limits are 3.10 to 4.0

I have used memtest86 and both sticks of ram passed without a hitch, but i haven't tried the test with both sticks in yet gonna do that and see what happens.

Back