• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not boot from CD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Splinter

My problem is this; during boot-up after the logo screen and during the dmi pool screen I recieve the message, unable to boot from cd. I have to go into safe mode and do a system restore to get the os to boot. Everything will run fine until I shut down and try to boot again. This is with stock settings and no overclock. My system specs are current, just ignore the oc for now. It will run stable at that speed, just won't boot os. You guys (and gals) think it may be a memory conflict? This is a new computer that ran flawlessly for a week before starting this. It was oc to my sig specs, but have since put back at stock speeds to rule out the oc causing corrupt date to hd. Thanks for your help, Tom.

Last edited:
just in case you haven't checked, check the advance bios features tab in bios, make sure the first boot is the hdd-0

does the cdrom work while in windows? or are there any other problems while in windows?

if there are no problems and your bios setting is correct, i'd suggest changing the setting on the Main page of the bios to stop on "no errors"

Molester, first boot device is indeed hdd-o and as far as I can tell, this is my only problem. I changed halt on all errors but keyboard to stop on no errors as you suggested. This seems to have fixed my problem althouth I do not understand why. Could you shed some light? Thanks, Tom

Halt on errors means that if a memory error or other cpu errors is detected, then the computer halts. You need to run memtest 86 to see if you have some flakey RAM. I wouldn't run with the halt on error disabled. This can cause the error to propagate to your hard drive and be remembered. You can get a corrupted hard drive under those conditions.

have you pulled the cdrom to see if it still has this problem?

and he's right, if there is a real problem, you won't know, but i've had to do this do to the "open case protection", my thermaltake case has a connection, and it worked, then stopped working, so i had to set it to no errors till i put the jumper back

After giving it some considerable thought, I realized that this started happening after I went to the nvidia site and installed the latest drivers for my motherboard. So, I reinstalled the drivers that came with the board and voila, working perfectly with halt on all errors but keyboard. If this continues to be the case, I will reinstall the updated drivers at a later date and see if the problem resurfaces. Once that has been determined, then I will attempt my oc again to see if there was a memory problem. Will run memtest in a few days to test mem stability and post the results here. Thanks for the help.

Back