• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tell NF7-S versions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is a sticker on the board that says the revision # if it is a 2.0. It is right next to the PCI slots (like the 2nd or 3rd down from the agp I think).

This has come up so many times, I oughtta just "sticky" one of 'em and be done with it...LOL. :p

If you've got the original box, it should be labeled on one end. There should also be a rectangular white sticker somewhere near the PCI slots that denotes what revision as well.

1.0 was the first version of this board, no holes around CPU socket.

1.1, very similar, very few were made.

1.2 added the holes around the CPU socket. Only the green LED is present.

2.0 also has holes, and the red "power on" LED was added to the board with this revision.

B.

john240sx said:
it should also say on the box what version the board is (i wouldn't trust that to be 100% accurate though).

Yeah I have heard others mention this as well but my box had no indication of the revision # on it and I know several other people experienced the same thing. The red LED is probably the only real gaurantee, it made me a bit nervous at first that the only indication of revision # on my board was on a sticker and not right on the board itself, like I have seen from many other manufacturers.

Isn't the rev 2.0 the only one that runs FSB400 out of the box? I'm about to buy one (newegg) but it doesn't list the revison and only lists up 333FSB. I think they might have sold out of rev 2.0???

I've seen an Abit NF7 that supported up to 333FSB, it didn't say what rev it was and it had holes aroud the socket selling for 122$ and one that also supported 333FSB, NO holes that sold for abou 100$... so i guess that the one with holes is rev2 and the one w/out is something older...

I see that this board also has a place where you can plug that "wire" that comes from the psu that i knew was for the p4 boards... anyway my board (gygabite w/ KT600 chipset) has no such thing... i can only plug the usual "wire" (i don't know how it's called, i hope you understand what i'm talking about).... so why does that board have it and mine doesen't... what's that REALLY for?

EBH said:
I've seen an Abit NF7 that supported up to 333FSB, it didn't say what rev it was and it had holes aroud the socket selling for 122$ and one that also supported 333FSB, NO holes that sold for abou 100$... so i guess that the one with holes is rev2 and the one w/out is something older...

I see that this board also has a place where you can plug that "wire" that comes from the psu that i knew was for the p4 boards... anyway my board (gygabite w/ KT600 chipset) has no such thing... i can only plug the usual "wire" (i don't know how it's called, i hope you understand what i'm talking about).... so why does that board have it and mine doesen't... what's that REALLY for?

With holes, and up to 333 *should* be a v1.2 board. The 2.0 supports up to DDR400. Any board without holes is a 1.0 or 1.1.

That "wire" you refer to (square 4 pin) supplies 12v for the processor. The other "usual wire" is a standard 20 pin ATX power connector. ;)

B.

Just got my NF7-S from newegg and it has the sticker next to the PCI slots saying its a version 2.0, but I cant find any LED lights of any color anywhere on the board.

Lvcoyote

Lvcoyote said:
Just got my NF7-S from newegg and it has the sticker next to the PCI slots saying its a version 2.0, but I cant find any LED lights of any color anywhere on the board.

Lvcoyote

They're very small, and located down near the CMOS battery. You really can only see them when power is applied (red LED), and the system is running (Green and red LEDs both lit).

B.

Yeah, the red light is the 5 v stand by. It should turn on if you plug your pc into the wall and have the mobo connected to the powr supply. Actually not sure on the green LED though. Stumps me.

Im sitting in class so I cant look at the board, but I do know that I have the red LED that stays on as long as the board is plugged in. Im also quite sure that it said it supported FSB400. So I guess its safe to say that I have rev2.0:)

As for the green LED, I have no clue what it is for and would really like to know. When I was working on the thing it would come on occasionally.

I just recieved my nf7-s today and it says ultra 400 and I see a small sticker saying r2.0 and in the manual it has support for pc3200 ram. I believe its the latest verson :)

I dont think youre gonna be able to run your 2000+ at 2.2v on the nf7-s - unless you have a metal socket lever

Mate, the board supports up to like 2.2-2.3 V now...

I've personally run my XP2200+ @ 2v... air...

Must be V2 here, got it a few days ago... I've had this thing at 440mhz FSB! No mods...

Mr B said:

That "wire" you refer to (square 4 pin) supplies 12v for the processor. The other "usual wire" is a standard 20 pin ATX power connector. ;)

B.

OK - I have been having Prime95 and Game crashing issues with my new NF7-S Rev2, and the Square 4-pin is something I was not familiar with.

Is it NECESSARY to have this plugged in? I do not think my Power Supply has a 4-pin to plug into it, but if this is a necessity, this could be a large part of my issue.

I obviously have the 20-pin ATX connecter plugged in, but the 4-pin is not being used.

Medar said:

OK - I have been having Prime95 and Game crashing issues with my new NF7-S Rev2, and the Square 4-pin is something I was not familiar with.

Is it NECESSARY to have this plugged in? I do not think my Power Supply has a 4-pin to plug into it, but if this is a necessity, this could be a large part of my issue.

I obviously have the 20-pin ATX connecter plugged in, but the 4-pin is not being used.

My mate got a bogstd Nf7, and without the 4-pin, he kept getting crashes, a new cheapo 400W PSU later with the 4-pin plugged in and he hasn't had a problem since...

Try it, it *WILL* improve stabilty.

Will do so.

I did upgrade to BIOS version 21, and that fixed my crashing issues (ironically). So while I do want to get a new PSU, I might wait until I can do the case at the same time.

Thanks for the reply!

I *had* an NF7-S rev 1.2 and it had the red LED. Every time the lights in my house are off and the board is getting power the whole board is illuminated by it. I know it was a rev 1.2 vecause I've had it long enough to flash it with about 4 different bios updates, all for the rev 1.2
-zero

Back