• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attempting L12 Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Michfan

Well with the arrival of my 2 x 512mb Muskin Level 2 Black PC 3500 i thought hitting a high FSB on this Abit NF7-S would be no problem. Low and behold im stuck at 210. After that it wont even post and it gives the dreaded beeps of death. Here i go diving in. Wish me luck.

good luck with that, but which version of the NF7-S do you have, as I heard from a senior member that the L12 mod is unneccesary for v2.0.

Nah you still need to do L12 mod for 133mhz chips. I have seen some people claim that L12 mod helped them with 166mhz chips as well but it definatly helps for the 133.

it didnt help me....i did the 133 - 166 L12 mod and all it did was not be able to auto detect anything and forced me to set parameters for the CPU .... did not gain ANY FSB at all .... if anything made it more unstable

Well it may not work for every single person, but it definatly works, and it works for most people I have seen try it. Perhaps there were some other issues holding back your FSB oc?

wow, didn't know that at all.... so even for the newest NF7-S, the v2.0, the L12 can help?

so I guess you set 133 as 166, and 166 as 133?

Well here is what i have so far. 217 seems to be the highest i can attain at the moment. This is with timings at 2-2-2-5 since after all thats why i spent $300 for this Level II Mushkin. Scores im pretty satisifed with so far. Im convinced that this chip refuses to go above 2.2 ghz without an insane amount of voltage. Maybe in a month or so ill get a 1700+ to try this out on.

FSB217.JPG

I can say this I tried every thing I can think of flashed bios to every bios verison there is twice and never could break 218 with my 2100 with the L12 mod and many other thing's I tried. Now with my 2500 I can run 232 but I dont think it's 100% stable but mem score's look good and I think I might break 15K with my 4200 afterall.

I really think my 2100+ is whats limiting my FSB so much. I just dont think these things can take alot of voltage for long periods of time. Ive run this thing at about 1.85 for almost a year now. Off the bat i could hit 2.4 easily with it at that voltage but now it takes me over 2v to get it above 2.2 stable. Its a Rev 2.0 board btw.

I thought i could get alot more than this and i am puzzled as to why its so low. I shouldn't be hitting such a ceiling with the Mushkin RAM and this board. VDD is at 1.7, Vcore at 1.85, Voltage rails seem stable (Antec True430). Now im getting IE crashes and BSOD's. Looks like i may have to back it down further or increase voltage again somewhere. Might have to do the VDD Pencil trick and see if thats my problem. Im just kinda at a loss right now.

FSB is not vcore dependant though. You can lower your mult and vcore and run your fsb very high. In fact that is a great way to find your FSB ceiling.

Yeah im about to do that and finally figure out what the ceiling is for this board and RAM at 2-2-2-5. I'll report back with some results.

Memory is bad at 2-2-2-6 at 434mhz. Time for some replacement sticks so i can find out the high FSB on this board.

Back