• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APIC 1.4 Enabled or Disabled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gazzrawly

im not sure what this does but i currently have it disabled and have done since i got this board. Running it with enabled....will that get me higher benchies on next format? gazz

apic creates virtual irqs so instead of having the default x number of irqs, you have more...

i believe things are faster with it disabled but then you have various devices sharing irqs(since there aren't that many) which can cause problems...

also i believe that if you enable/disable it, you have to reinstall windows... but i could be wrong about that since windows should just redetect all the irqs and changes when you reboot...

I installed with it enabled i believe and once i tried to disable it Windows XP went crazy on me so i had to change it back.

If you install windows with APIC enabled and then try to disable it you will need to do a repair install on xp to get it to work. To go back to apic enabled I believe you need to reinstall windows.

Some people have found that their maximum FSB can be increased by disabled APIC. My personal experience with APIC disabled was a mixed bag however. The IRQ conflicts that can arise from having it disabled can have an adverse effect on other parts of the system. You may achieve a higher fsb, but perhaps your IDE controller will have an irq conflict with another device.

If you don't mind the hassle involved with the repeated windows installs it may be worth it to try it out. Just be sure that you test all aspects of your system for performance before you decide to leave it disabled.

i think i'm going to check out apic mode disabled.... it'll give me a chance to test out my slipstream xp cd with nf2 drivers.... :)

Back