• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My proposed abit KV7 rig. opinions welcomed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke Blackfist

Ok, so I'm building a new rig, and was thinking about getting a p4 2.4c on an abit IC7 canterwood board, but have been enouraged to reconsider and get an athlon based rig (more economical, not much performance difference).

So here is my proposed set up, I would welcome any opinions or advice about how to improve it, or if my money would be better spent on other things.

AMD Barton XP2500+ 333FSB
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 128MB (non pro)
Abit KV7 KT600 Motherboard
OCZ 512MB PC3200 Performance Series EL-DDR CAS2
Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)(FMA) 460W PSU
Maxtor Serial ATA 80GB 8MB Cache <----- x2 for raid 0

also, would there be any advantage to getting a matched pair of memory modules as opposed to one stick of 512?

Thanks in advance.

dont get the kt600 chipset get the abit nf7-s better sound and for overclocking aswell if u get the cpu off cpu-city its the newest stepping which u can get better overclock on :) also id say get a antec truepower 430watt or above also what cooling are u planning on getting ?

unless ur trying to hit 250 or something the kt600 will be fine, it performs great and has a pci divider of 6

u wouldnt be able to even hit 230fsb with a kt600 motherboard ask anyone that knows about overclocking or AMD computers they will tell u to get the Abit NF7-S its the best AMD motherboard around

ok, so if I were to take steven's advice and get the nf7-s which has all the nice stuff I want, I would do well to get a matched pair of memory modules, as that board supports dual DDR, right? However, I don't see adata matched sticks, so what if I were to go for something like 2 sticks of 512 Corsair XMS3200 (cas 2)?

correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the PCI divider is the ratio at which the PCI bus runs at in relation to the FSB? I've read that the NF7-S can give you a divider of 6, plus a few other pci/fsb/memory ratio options.

why is the antec better than the enermax?

I'm planning on getting water cooling at some stage. I really have no idea what setup I'll go for, but I'm interested in making an evaporative, cos it's better than a radiator, cheaper, more fun and makes a theraputic (sp?) noise. My girlfriend isn't too keen on having a dribbling pipe full of water right next to the computer, but I'll talk her round :p

first off all on the NF7-S the pci slots are locked at 33 whatever fsb u use because its got a n-force2 chipset

the antec psu is just more stable i think

Corsair XMS3200 is good but to much for me seeing im only 17 and got a crap part time job :) if u have loads off money go with Corsair

well, I just got my student loan, gotta spend it on something :)
It doesn't seem REALLY expensive, and it's "preset to aggresive timings, for people who'd rather not go into their bios"

and I do have a part time job as well, and I'm only paying for half.

Steven4563 said:
u wouldnt be able to even hit 230fsb with a kt600 motherboard ask anyone that knows about overclocking or AMD computers they will tell u to get the Abit NF7-S its the best AMD motherboard around

KT600 MoBos doing past 230MHz/460FSB;

ABIT KV7

OC-1.jpg

ASUS A7V600

OC-1.jpg

EPOX 8KRA2+

OC-1.jpg

You can say not true all you like but there are a good number of people that operate at high bus speeds & like it, also 38MHz PCI isnt all that high either. With Duke Blackfist proposed setup of 2 SATA drives in RAID 0 that the SouthBridge natively supports is not affected by the PCI BUS due to architecture, extreme speeds are not consequencial.

9800 Non Pros are getting hard to find, so if you can find one, grab it quick.

I had 550w versions of both Antec and Enermax, and the Antec's voltages were better for me.

Another good PSU manufacturer is Fortron. (but I have not had one)

As for motherboard, I'm not sure which one you should take, as I have no experience with the KT600 boards. I have an Abit NF7-S v2, and I really like it.

Sonny said:
You can say not true all you like but there are a good number of people that operate at high bus speeds & like it, also 38MHz PCI isnt all that high either. With Duke Blackfist proposed setup of 2 SATA drives in RAID 0 that the SouthBridge natively supports is not affected by the PCI BUS due to architecture, extreme speeds are not consequencial.

coz off the screen shots doesnt mean they run at that high speed it doesnt take much for it to take a screen shot i can run my motherboard at 240+ fsb doesnt mean i run it 24/7 there h/ds might no be affected by it but what about other pci slot cards

Before PCI Locks for AMD platforms were available people already ran upwards of 38MHz PCI & I am one one of them. Just because you havent heard of it or have not had success with it doesnt mean its not true. Look around for KX7-333R threads those owners were running at 195MHz - 205MHz on a daily basis without problems for months on end with a 1/5 divisor. There are a few KR7A - 133R boards that would run at 200MHz on a 1/4 divisor only. One of our Seniors WildAndyC was the one of the first to break 200MHz on a 8KHA+, he actually went passed the available settings on the BIOS & had to use CPU FSB in windows to achieve higher than the board originally allowed & yes all on a 1/4 divisor.

Experience & history have shown that if you know what your doing high PCI BUS is a good way to increase your I/O performance & is stable. Sure PCI Locks are nice but that doesnt limit other boards from running out of spec because they dont have that particular safety feature.

yeah ok whatever u think but u cannot run the motherboard so far out off spec because off the other pci slot card maybe yes it everything is onboard and for that person to get a 200fsb on a 1/4 divider that is Swearing is bad -Thelemac coz the pci slots would be running at 50mhz and that is total bull sorry

Sonny one thing you are overlooking is that the agp bus is still tied to the pci bus on thoses boards, and concidering ati's are well known for their hatred of high or low agp bus speeds, i can not recommend at ktxxx board of any kind.

you may well say 38mhz pci is fine, but i know that my ati card doesnt like 76mhz agp.

Steven4563 said:
yeah ok whatever u think but u cannot run the motherboard so far out off spec because off the other pci slot card maybe yes it everything is onboard and for that person to get a 200fsb on a 1/4 divider that is bulls**t coz the pci slots would be running at 50mhz and that is total bull sorry

Tell that to THIS GUY who has a KR7A running happily at 52.5MHz PCI. Feel free to contact wild_andy_c about his exploits over 200MHz/400FSB on the KT266A chipset.

Punctuation helps better than swearing. Your borderline flaming & that is not allowed here even if you pretend to apologize for it. When somebody has a different opinion than yourself try not to be so sensitive. I merely pointed out that there are systems without AGP or PCI Locks that can run past 230MHz/460FSB.

james.miller - 9600PRO @ 82MHz AGP. I remember Op having issues with this too when he was on the KD7 RAID & another make of the same ATi card allowed him to use high AGP. The test setup in THIS ARTICLE uses a Hercules 9800 Pro from which all the WCPUID screenshots were taken. Could it be brand specific that causes problems at high AGP speeds?

i wasnt flaming at all im just trying to get my point across that the Abit NF7-S is better than the Abit KV7 for overclocking

another thing is yes a FEW ppl can run with 38mhz + pci slots but most off us cant

so it would save him hassle if he got the Abit NF7-S board

Sonny said:

Tell that to THIS GUY who has a KR7A running happily at 52.5MHz PCI. Feel free to contact wild_andy_c about his exploits over 200MHz/400FSB on the KT266A chipset.

Punctuation helps better than swearing. Your borderline flaming & that is not allowed here even if you pretend to apologize for it. When somebody has a different opinion than yourself try not to be so sensitive. I merely pointed out that there are systems without AGP or PCI Locks that can run past 230MHz/460FSB.

james.miller - 9600PRO @ 82MHz AGP. I remember Op having issues with this too when he was on the KD7 RAID & another make of the same ATi card allowed him to use high AGP. The test setup in THIS ARTICLE uses a Hercules 9800 Pro from which all the WCPUID screenshots were taken. Could it be brand specific that causes problems at high AGP speeds?

no i dont think so. a friend of mine had problems with his grandmars 9500np. i know its not limited to 95xx's, but how sever the problem is with other models i dont know.

Steven4563 said:
i wasnt flaming at all im just trying to get my point across that the Abit NF7-S is better than the Abit KV7 for overclocking

another thing is yes a FEW ppl can run with 38mhz + pci slots but most off us cant

so it would save him hassle if he got the Abit NF7-S board

You're on the edge of flaming. Calling somebody a liar without any kind of proof is close to attacking the person rather than their views. You also did it in an extremely rude and unfriendly way.

You weren't trying to get the point across that your view is better, you were trying to get the point across that he was wrong by using negative comments.

Just a thought, keep your anger in check when posting and try to make thoughtful posts rather than mindless denouncements. You help other members a lot more by doing that, and I don't have to come in and reprimand you for it, either. ;)

Back