• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASROCK K7S8X R3.0.. is it any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heheh, assrock :)

Adolescence aside, it's not that hot. Go for an nForce2 board or if you hate nVidia, at least try a Via KT600.

--Illah

Well. Let me refrase the question, is it a good mobo for a low budget consideration? I don't have too much money to spend and I need to get a new CPU and some ddr ram too..

Now if this is a machine for your grandma or something, then yeah it'll work. If it's for you to do cool stuff with, then consider this:

On pricewatch it's around $50. You can get an NF7-S v2.0 (one of the best) for barely over $100. You can get NF7 barebone mobo's around $80.

I personally would skim on the CPU the most, especially in AMD land. 1700 DLTC3's overclock like crazy and are around $50, a low end nForce2 would be $80-ish, and 512MB of Buffalo PC3700 (supposedly a great overclocker) is about $100.

That would total to about $220+shipping. If that is way out of your budget then honestly I'd suggest save up a few more bucks! I've ended up wasting lots of money buying cheap only to upgrade or buy more later :)

--Illah

ABIT NF7-S NVIDIA NFORCE2 AMD DDR400, SATA, 1394 is this the one?
I live in finland, so it's not so easy to come by the same components for the same price, this would cost me about 115 € (avarege).

Euro to USD converts nearly 1:1, and $115 is about what it would cost here (maybe $105 if you're lucky, but not a big difference). What is your budget BTW?

--Illah

My budget.. well that depends on how much of my old junk I can sell and at what price. But I'm aiming at 200-300 €. And that includes the mobo, the cpu and the memory. (and possibly some case cooling, but that shouldn't be too expensice)

Hmmm, considering near equal conversion you could do plenty with $300 USD, but I'm sure pricing is different in Finland. If you can get a NF7-S for 115 euros I say do it, you should be able to get a 1700+ DLT3C or at least T-Bred B, which is almost sure to do 2GHz and a good bet for 2.2GHz, for under 75 euros. Then that leaves about 120 leftover for decent PC3200 RAM (or 110, then use 10 on fans).

I'm sure there are other Europeans on here who know localized pricing better, hopefully one of them replies.

--Illah

Just incase I do have to go with the cheaper one.. is that Asrock mobo good for regular gaming and windows use, not to tweak with? (so it turns out I might be my own grandma)

Sounds like your sold on that Asrock already to me, but I would get an NF7-S like Illah said, because it's one of the best boards out. but there are others out like Asus A7N8X or Leadtek K7NCR18D OR any other Nforce 2 chipset board

So I definedly should get an Nforce 2 chipset board? Well I guess that means I'll have to wait a little longer to get to updating my system..
Because I really don't have the money for it yet, but hopefully by the time of :santa2: I'll be set.

Thanks for your help!

Try looking for a Shuttle AN35 Ultra it can be had in the US for around 70$ compared to 100$ for the NF7-S so I am guessing that it should be considerably cheaper in europe too.

While it doesnt come with SATA or firewire it is a great overclocker and very cheap

funnyperson1 said:
Try looking for a Shuttle AN35 Ultra it can be had in the US for around 70$ compared to 100$ for the NF7-S so I am guessing that it should be considerably cheaper in europe too.

While it doesnt come with SATA or firewire it is a great overclocker and very cheap

Sounds good, I'll look into it, firewire and sata aren't really a high priority to me. I won't likely use either of them for a long while. :)

for a low buddget overclocking board the lowiest board would be an 8rda for epox and then a asus a7n8x or just get the best out on the market IMO NF7-S.

I didn't find Shuttle AN35 Ultra from any finnish computer web store. I guess I have to keep looking, I'll check out those boards too, jonspd. Thanks.

A7N8X would be like 95% as good as a NF7-S. I've built systems with that board, it's a good one. It'll be almost the same price as the NF7-S though, so you might as well get that and have integrated Audigy-class sound.

--Illah

Illah said:
A7N8X would be like 95% as good as a NF7-S. I've built systems with that board, it's a good one. It'll be almost the same price as the NF7-S though, so you might as well get that and have integrated Audigy-class sound.

--Illah

Ok, I'll compare the prices and the specs and the "other stuff". But I propaebly will go with the NF7-S as soon as I can afford to. :drool:

Well, you can get ASRock K7S8X for 36€ in Finland :eek: :eek: :eek: Goddamn that's cheap!
I'm going to grab one for my HTPC setup. Fast or not, it's good enough for HTPC.

My MSI KT3 Ultra is crappering out on me . . . so I am also in the market for a Socket A board.

I looked at pricewatch, what I saw was that a BASE NF7 can be had as low as $70, while a NF7-S starts at $103.

Big difference, can someone please clarify? It looks like the -s version has better sound hardware? Most people seem to be talking about the -s version, and I would prefer to spend the extra money if the sound quality is better for gaming. I have not had much luck with standard AC97 hardware in the past.

Also, On my MSI I have two hard drives using on-board IDE RAID, will I still be able to use these in the same kind of configuration with the NF7-S? Thanks for any information provided.

Back