• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i get a higher voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

I have a gigabyte mb w/ VT600 chipset (don't know how it's called.. it's something like GA7VT600 i think) and i can't get the voltage higher than +10% in bios and cpu cool says it's only 1.78 (from the 1.70 stock, in cpu cool) so not even 10%.... (????) or maybe it's something i don't get....

how do some ppl get voltages of about 2 - 2.20 ???

with the gigabyte oc tool (easytune) it says it can get it as high as 1.9 but when it works (most of the times it dosen't) cpu cool still show a vcore of 1.7 (stock... actualy 1.68 is stock)

Not familiar with that mobo but you will have several options.
1. If there is such a thing a modded BIOS might have them.( possibly do a search in google)
2. You might be able to find a VCore mobo mod, usually a variable resistor solder to a chip.(try Google again)
3. Probably the easiest would be to close all of the L11 bridges on the CPU. That would set the CPU default to 1.85v and then you could still get your percentage increases on top of that.

One thing to be wary of is the temps of the CPU will jump a lot with even a small VCore increase. So make sure your cooling is up to it.
Hood

thanks for the answer...

i have (yet) another question because you mentioned unlocking the cpu... how should i channge the multiplier (if i change it).... higher multiplier and lower fsb or higher fsb and lower multiplier ??? i've seen ppl do both so that's why i don't really understand it.

To be of more help I will really need to know what CPU you have and also the DDR speed, but the higher you have the FSB for a given CPU MHz the better the performance will be.
Hood

i have a 2600+ athlon (the one with 333 fsb and 12.5 multiplier)
the ddr speed is 333 i think (PC2700) and the mb supports ddr400... and fsb400

i haven't found any info on unlocking this cpu... i just find a web site that said that it doesen't work the same as the 2200+ athlon (but they were talking about the 2600+ w/ 266 fsb (and 16 multi)

You dont actually need to unlock the CPU as it isnt locked in the first place. However it will depend on whether your mobo supports fifth bit FID as to whether you will be able to access all of the multis or not. You will definitely be able to change between 5x and 12.5x, but as your DDR is only 333 you may need to get higher than 12.5x to push your CPU to the max, it will just depend on how good your CPU will OC.
The best performance will be gained by getting the FSB as high as possible but because its DDR333 you are possibly looking at a max of 190FSB. As your 2600 has the potential for 2400-2500MHz then possibly you will want a higher multi than 12.5x. If you do need 13x and your mobo wont allow you to use it you will have to cut the 5th L3 bridge or another possibility might be to put a bit wire in the socket, check out www.ocinside.de for info on wire mods.
Hood

What if i get ddr400 ? (that's pc3200 right?)... i wanted to get new ram anyway...
I did raise my fsb over 190 and it appeard to be working (games were working fine - quake3, diablo2) but when i ran the torture test from prim95 (the one that checkes the ram too... it said something like hardware error (don't remember exactly) and i thought it was because of the low voltage...
the thing with my mobo (Gigabyte GA-7VT600) is that it's pretty new and there are no (or very few) mods (bios) and oc info on it.
My bios has no "change multiplier" option (or something like it).

Get pc3200 and you wont have any probs getting the FSB up to and over 200. How far you will be able to OC your CPU will still depend on a bit of luck but atleast you will be able to get the benefit of the extra bandwidth.
Hood

Oh another thing is that these mobos use a divider system for setting the PCI/AGP speeds so 190FSB is getting near the limits. If you could set to 200 then the PCI/AGP would be back in spec so that could help.
Not sure if you can get the FSB as high as 200 with a 333CPU. How do you set the FSB on these mobos? can you see 200FSB in the BIOS? is there a dip switch called SW1 and does it allow 133, 166 200 options or is it just 133 and Auto?
Hood

there IS a switch that has just 2 states: 100 and auto (i think that 100 is half of 200 - ???)

i set the fsb from bios - the max is something like 250... the board supports 400fsb

there IS a switch that has just 2 states: 100 and auto (i think that 100 is half of 200 - ???)

i set the fsb from bios - the max is something like 250... the board supports 400fsb

I asked because on mobos such as the VAXP you set SW1 to Auto and if you had a 266 CPU then you could only get up to 165 in the BIOS. If you had a 333 CPU then you could get over 166 in the BIOS.
As you see 250 in the BIOS you should be OK.
Hood

thanx for all your help but it seems that there's very little to tweek at my mobo (gigabyte VIA vt600) as i read on a bunch of hardware related web sites.... i CAN'T change the multi, the vcore has just 3 states: auto, +5%, +7.5% and +10% and the agp/pci isn't locked as it is in mobos with nforce chipset... so i can't raise the fsb too much 'cos the video card may not like it...
this is one of the wors choise of mb for oc... i should have gotten one with a nforce2 chipset... even if it was a gigabyte also... (the problem is in with VIA not Gigabyte).... if i can find someone that will buy this mb i'll get an Epox or Abit... (i hear good things about them) that IS oc friendly (i'll search a lot of reviews before i'll buy it... won't make the same mistake - i hope)

so thanx again for trying! (spelled wrong?)

oh... and there was another problem w/ this mobo it showed a cpu temp 10 deg higher than it was actualy (deg celsius).. but that was solved after a bios update (though it made me buy 2 system coolers and arctic alumina thermal paste)

if you could recomend a mobo to me it would be great... (socket A and 400fsb... or 333 if you don't know any good 400fsb)

EBH said:
if you could recomend a mobo to me it would be great... (socket A and 400fsb... or 333 if you don't know any good 400fsb)
Look in my sig. LOL
Hood

BTW I will do a bit of looking around but I am sure you will be able to change the multis on the mobo by dip switch. Posiibly you have what they term the budget model so I could be wrong. Also have you pressed Ctrl and F1 when on the main BIOS page, then when you go to other pages you should see extra options for OCing.

EDIT
Ok I have had a quick look and if it is the base model ie the VT600 then you are right , no multi options. You could mod the mobo and add some dips to it but probably not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
I did a search on the web (mostly the same sites where they said my mobo was oc's hell) and the mb i wanted was actually the same one you have :) (well abit nf7 anyway... without -S Rev2 - don't even know what that means) ... i was also considering the epox 8RDA+ but i think i'll go for the abit because it sais it's more oc friendly and i don't have to install an additional mb-chip fan, as the nforce gets really hot when raising the fsb.
i also checked out asus and gigabyte boards with nforce2 chipset (NO WAY I'M GETTING VIA AGAIN)... but there were not what i wanted...

well... i'll keep the epox in my head somewhere still because i wan't to make a LOT of research before i buy a mobo (it sucks to get something pretty expensive and then have to get another 2 weeks later - like i have to do with my gigabyte pos)

The S part means it has SATA onboard and the Rev2 bit means its the Revision 2 of this mobo. If you are going for the NF7 make sure its the Rev2.

Gigabyte do some nice NForce mobos, the NNXP is nice but expensive, the N400 Pro is also a nice mobo and is a bit cheaper. The N400 Pro2 is a step back as far as OCing goes, it only has the % increase for the VCore and you have to change the multis by the dip switch's on the mobo. So if you decide on a Giga N400 Pro make sure its the Pro and not the Pro2 if you are serious about OCing.
By all accounts the N400L is also a nice mobo, it is just a stripped down version of the NNXP and I think has all the same OCing options as the NNXP and the Pro, but check that out first if you are thinking of going that route.

I have no experience of the Epox so cant comment on them but I have had an Asus A7N8X which was also a very nice mobo.
Good luck in your choice and please come back and post here to let us know what you decide and how you get on.
Hood

I found the rev2 at one place... i noticed it's anout 20$ more than rev 1 (or1.x) don't know exactly which 'cos they didn't mention that.
I noticed that the rev2 (really didn't look at that at rev1) has a "slot" where you can plug the second psu to mb wire (like p4 boards have. My board doesen't have such 4pin slot (don't know how to call it) and that's why i thought all socket A boards where the same.... what's that thing really for ?
i may have to go with epox though (Epox 8RDA3) because it's mutch cheaper than the Abit and supports 400fsb (i realy won't need that but it makes you feel good :) )... the Epox is 83$ and the abit is 122$ !!!

let's hope that when you hear from me again on this forum i will be bragging about my kick-*** rig....

ps: is your 1800+ really running 2700MHz ????
what cooling do you use and what vcore... if it's mentioned in your signature don't say it again (i'm not looking at your post(s) now)

Have a look HERE for your questions about my rig.
The 4Pin power plug was used solely for P4 mobos previously but a lot of AMD mobos now use it. It provides a clean source of power for the CPU and can help quite a bit when OCing. Infact some mobos wont even run if you dont have it plugged in.
Hood

Back