• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S..Memory? ~~~>>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BRPEclipse

Registered
Hey guys im confused about which RAM to get with my nf7-s rev. 2 mobo. Lets say I have a limit of $300.00 to spend on ram. I understand with the nf7-s I should run dual channel. Should I go with a pc3200/3500/4000 ram? Which is the best ram? Corsair/HyperX/etc..

btw, I want to have 1GB of ram..

Thanks all.

Well your limiting factor is going to be your chipset. Without a Vmod on that board I would be surprised to see anything higher than 230 Cas 2 and prime stable for 48hours. So save the cash and just pickup some buffalo PC3700, or hyperx 3500. Adata is overkill and your chipset will bottleneck it.

ajrettke said:
Well your limiting factor is going to be your chipset. Without a Vmod on that board I would be surprised to see anything higher than 230 Cas 2 and prime stable for 48hours. So save the cash and just pickup some buffalo PC3700, or hyperx 3500. Adata is overkill and your chipset will bottleneck it.
think he meant a-data pc3200

The buffalos will save you money and they use BH-5 chips. I think the 3200LL use CH-5 (not as good). Save yourself $100.

Not that corsair is bad, it's great mem, but I'm just watching your wallet.

--Illah

Dual Channel?

Well after everything I've read about Nforce2, the concensus seems to be that there is hardly any benefit in running dual channel on that chipset. At least not enough benefit to outweigh the cost of adding the extra memory and added stress to the memory controller. In short, you do gain a small edge on performance, but u can lose out on some fsb. This is my interpretation on dual channel and nforce 2.

In terms of what memory you should get, again the concensus seems to be "get bh5". The Buffalo 3700 has bh4, so do Hyper X 3000 and 3200(non-A). Corsair use to have bh5, but not anymore. Im not sure about A-Data though. To answer your question about what memory spec to go for. You will not need to get PC4000, seeing as how the timings are completely ***. Since most ppl don't "usually" go super high fsb(230+), you can still get away with PC 3200. But just to be safe, get the Buffalo 3700 with BH5. You should be able to get tight timings with those chips. If you can't get Buffalo, then get HyperX or anything else with BH5.

EDIT:

OMG I totally forgot about Muskin Lvl 2 Black Pc3500. Its the only one rated for 2-2-2 timings at that spec. Then again tho, Buffalo is still cheaper.

bambislayer said:
MY BUFFALO VERY STABLE AT 426MHZ. IVE JUST HAD IT 3 DAYS SO I HOPE 430 IS IN MY FUTURE

Try to push it. 426 doesn't sound much for PC3700. I'm running 440 on my PC2700 (although it's only at 7-3-3-2.5).

I am up to 430 now. Just installed several days ago and have been going a little every day. Cpu wont run stable over 2100. Going to go with a barton 2500 soon.

Yes, dual channel isn't magic, but it can help a tad. Also if you want a gig of mem getting a 1GB stick is more expensive and probably has even worse performance than 2x512MB of something good.

--Illah

So Buffalo pc3700 ram? I thought the NF7-S only supports ddr400? Doesn't that mean the highest I can go with is pc3200 ram? Can someone give me a specific model to run 2X512mb (1gig) of Buffalo ram? So I can research that and see if thats what I want/need? Thanks all...

Supports 400MHz DDR CPU's officially, but can go up to 600MHz DDR in the BIOS :) You can always use faster RAM, only at stock it will run under-clocked. Mobo's control RAMspeed, so it won't matter what you put in there, the mobo tells it how fast to go.

--Illah

Back