• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is A-Data RAM and why is it cheap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgeWorks

Does anyone know what sort of chips these things use? The're website is pretty useless...

I am asking because I can get 512Mb of PC4000 A-Data for the same price as 512MB Corsair XMS3200LL.

I am going to be overclocking(is there any other way?) a Barton 2500+ on an NF7-S dual channel. So which is the better choice out of these two?

My third choice is Geil pc-3500, which is dirt cheap but it seems as though it won't take tight timings at all.

Can you please not say "Get Muskin, Buffalo etc." It's near on impossible to buy that stuff where I live :(

thats for that useless post slawson.

The adata modules use their own chips, adata. This is a japanese company (i think) and so its kinda hard to get them here, but if you can get them there, then go for it. These sticks are perfect for overclocking. Get them. I heard they can reach up to DDR600 thats 300 fsb! These will definitely not hold back your oc.

OK I found a review here , they say that they will clock very high but the timings have to be very loose, even at low(er) speed the timings wouldn't go below CAS2.5 stably. I'm guessing these would be a lot better suited to a P4 than an XP.

Anyone have firsthand knowledge?

BTW, the company is from Taiwan.

Hmm...I think i'm still going to go with the Corsair - the last stick I had was great, it was BH-5 though(wish I hadn't sold it).

These new ones aren't quite so good but 2,2,2,6 at 200Mhz should give me at least some headroom. If I ever do another P4 system I might go for A-Data.

A-DATA isn't just for Intel's. It's for high-FSB applications. But only Intel's "C" with low multipliers (2.4C and 2.6C) are capable of reaching the high FSB's that make running 4ns memory necessary. There is word that AMD's Athlon 64 3200+ might be capable of 270+MHz FSB while under extreme cooling, but current bios problems are hampering them.

There has been word that many of the A-DATA PC4000 modules coming into the States uses Hynix D43 chip, which is unfortunate. A-DATA also uses their own manufactured chips, which are the modules reviewed in the www.Overclockers.Com.Au review. If you use an Intel 2.4B (2.66B with a multiplier of 20) then you won't be capable of achieving the FSB, and will be better off with lower FSB and tightest timings.

Memory using Winbond BH-5 chips (some A-DATA has had BH-5 in the past, but unknown as of now) is the best for Athlon and overclocked-Intel-"B"-processors.

i got some hynix which are great. BTW ur not gonna get 600FSB outa a-data running at low volt. U need about 3.2 voltz to reach taht much fsb.

460 should be good without a vdimm mod at cas 2.5 480 at cas 3. This stuff simply wont run cas 2 (kinda like bh5 simply wont run cas 3) It also needs a decent bit of voltage to go from 3 to 2.5.

This refers to the pc4000. My pc2700 a data can do 2.5 almost as high as it does 3. It can do 2 but takes alot of voltage and low mhz.

Adata is not LL ram. If you want tight timings. Don't buy it. It will do moderate timings reasonably well, and for loose timings, it can't be beat.

Back