• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reset cmos on biostar M7VKQ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
I've been messing with my overclock on my XP1700+ in a biostar M7VKQ tonight. But I ran into trouble when I set it at 155/39/off, now it won't post.

I moved the jumper to clear the cmos
I removed the battery
I removed the battery and then jumpered to clear the cmos
I hit the reset switch
I unplugged the power supply, then pulled the battery, then jumpered the cmos

Nothing I do works. The board won't post. Hard drive and cpu fan come on, the drive starts to spin up then goes silent. Nothing shows on the monitor, the only sign of life is the cpu fan spinning.

What do I do now?

No boot.

Probably dead BIOS or video. Make sure the video card is seated properly along with the PSU connections & MB cables.

If you have a spare CPU put it in to see if the CPU went kaput. You did everything to clear the CMOS so something went bad. If you don't unplug it from the wall before resetting the jumpers to clear CMOS or removing & replacing the battery you can fry something.

Anytime you do anything physical to the MB always unplug it from the wall first.

I think I figured it out.

I put the Hard drive, power supply and CD drive on another identical mobo and the new MOBO/CPU would not post.

Removed the hard drive and installed a blank one and booted just fine on the replacement mobo.

I'm guessing that the first hard drive was corrupted by the overclock on the first motherboard. Now I hope that the hard drive was the only problem and that the bios, cpu and board are still good. I'll have to test them after the SETI team race ends sunday night.

Don't see how the HD could have been corrupted by overclocking because OC'ing is done in the BIOS chip on the MB. Maybe the HD is bad but doubt it was caused by OC'ing.

HDD should always be Master & other device on same IDE cable Slave or cable select and Master always on the end connector.

Another possibility, when you connected the HD & CD one IDE or Molex connector wasn't properly seated. Anytime I have a problem first thing I do is go back and double check all connections to everything.

Hope you get it squared away. OldBird

Back