• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's "memory auto precharge" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

I looked in the bios of my new 8rda+ 2.1 and in the Chipset Features there's "memory auto precharge", I didn't have that in my 1.1, what does it do? should I put it on Disabled or Enabled? (for OC settings).

thx.
Suma

Quote from epox usa bios section: "Add "Auto_Precharge_Selectable" option to patch some DDR unstable issue. (i.e. A-DATA DDR400 / TwinMOS DDR 400)"

Still I can't really understand what does it do?

THe PRECHARGE command is used to deactivate an open row. After PRECHARGE is issued and after the tRP delay, the row will again be ready for access. I believe autoprecharge does this automatically, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Many boards don't enable it because they assume that you will want data near the data that you just requested, and it
may be faser not to deactivate the row right away.

So is it better enabled or disabled?
From what you wrote I understand Disabled is better correct me if I'm wrong.

It really depends on the code you're trying to speed up. Does it have it's memory in one block and use a lot of bandwidth, or does it scatter things around?

Back