• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my sexy new nf7 r2 ^^ quick help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

ok, i just recieved the NF7 rev2 and i had 2 questions. i noticed 2 places to connect the power in. the normal power called atxpwr1 and the small square 4pin connector called atx12v1 . i never used the 4pin one and i was wondering what its for and do i need to connect it.

my second question was i noticed the northbridge has a baby fan on it already. did i order this zalman heatsink for no reason or should i replace the fan with it?

1) i think its for the cpu so u can use high voltages

2) i dont really know about that but the stock one isnt that bad im at 227fsb with it :) u could put that heatsink on the SB as that gets really hot tho :)

I hooked an NF7-S up a week ago and didn't use the 4 pin ATX. Everything worked fine. I'm not sure but I'd guess it gives a boost to the 12v line. Regarding the Zalman, it will cool the northbridge about the same as the stock fan but with no noise. If you added your fan I'd say the cooling would be better than stock.

The 2nd 4 Prong Plug is an Auxiliary 12V line. The newer MoBos from ABIT, KT400 | KT880 | K8T800 | NF2, now draw the power from the 12V rail instead of the 5V rail on older boards. It helps but its not a cure for bad rails.

When you start running at extended intervals at high VDD voltage & high FSB you will want a better cooler than the stock concaved worthless Alu HSF thats supplied with the board. If your planning on using a passive heat sink for this application I hope you have substantial supply of cool airflow thru the case.

sonny, i have 4 fans on my radiator and a 92mm blowhole, is that enough?

its extremely organized. all you see inside the case through the window is a couple water tubes. everything else is tucked away out of sight

I think you need a couple more fans, and best to use SLK-800's or water on GPU, NB, & SB. Passive cooling is for sissies.

--Illah

lol, i already think its overkill to watercool a northbridge and your suggesting watercooling the southbridge? lol, sorry, i find that amusing. but the gpu will be water cooled

that 12v atx connector is there for no reason other than to spread the load on the 12v line across multiple wires. without it there is a very real risk of overloading those wires and causing possible damage/even a fire.

Back