• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey, can you guys help me choose between 2 Epox boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Hey guys, right now I'm in a bit of a financial crunch due to school and stuff. My old Abit board died, so I've been using an old ECS K7S5a.

I've been browsing the newegg refurbs, and found 2 epox boards for great prices.

One, is the 8K5A2 with the KT333 chipset.
Second is the 8RDA (no plus) with the nForce2

The KT333 board is 29 bucks, the 8RDA is 31 bucks. I'm looking for a good board that will last until the winter break, possibly until I graduate in spring and get to work more.

I've been searching around the forums about the 8RDA, it seems like it's discontinued and sorta forgotten about. What did the + version add? Just soundstorm or RAID? Or a different revision? I'd hate to buy into some of the nforce2's early problems...but I certainly don't mind BIOS flashing if that will help.

The KT333 is probably the "safe bet" then, but I wouldn't mind having some nforce2 goodness.

Someone help me decide... :)

Were there problems with early revision 8RDA's? I have no clue what revision I'll get...ofcourse, I do'nt mind BIOS flashing, just if there had been chipset or board revisions...

I have an 8rda. It's great, though the sound is weaker than the + version. I coudn't actually tell you about it b/c I have always had it disabled on account of my Santa Cruz card.

Only diff is the + has 6 channel soundstorm clone (not certified soundstorm though b/c of missing connectors).

I can't get my FSB any higher than I could with my Kt333 boards, but that's because my old corsair PC3200 can only do 198 at fast timings.

Thanks, I'll have the sound disabled anyway, as I'll use my Fortissimo.

I was just checking about other quirks...I'd like it to be quick and stable, that's all I want right now. I'm still running my 1800 pally, so I won't be going much above 166fsb...

I'll go ahead and get the 8RDA.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Oh well, I lost net access to finsih teaching the lab, and between that and the ride home pretty much all of the newegg refurbs are gone. Including both Epox's. No biggie, I'll keep my eyes open on those refurbs, gotta jump quick on them! :)

Edit 2: Well, the Epox's never came back, but newegg actually updated refurbs AGAIN tonight! I just bought a gigabyte KT333 board for 20 bucks! That should hold me until I have money for a new board and cpu.

Last edited:
7vrp I believe...couldn't say no for 20 bucks and free shipping! :D Thanks for the tips on the Epox boards though, I might pick up a nForce2 board in the near future, and might do a refurb if possible.

that's a really nice board.
you get raid and stuff, lots of features.
I had the 7vaxp which is the same just kt400.
awesom board, not for ocing though.

I got a 8RDA refurb from newegg for $51.00 and love it, came like new in the box with everything. It's same as a 8RDA+ without all the bells and whistles and six channel sound. By all means, stay with the nForce chip.

Problems with the early 8RDA editions? None I know of and the AWDFLASH utility for flash updating the BIOS is easy as eating pie to use. I have my 2100 OC'd 2.1GHz no sweat on air cooling.

Let me give you some food for thought:
If you don't already have a video card the 8RDA does not have on board video so you'll have to buy a Video card. The 8RGA and 8RGA+ have on board video so you won't have to buy a card and if you want better video you can add an AGP card later.

You'll have to do the math and weigh the cost factor to see if it would be cost effective to spend the extra money and get a MB with on board video versus one without and the added expense of having to buy a video card.

I also have the 8RGA+ and it's a honey to. Old Bird

Thanks for the tips huneycutt! Probably come winter I'll buy a new mb/cpu combo, in the meantime I'm only temporarily replacing my KX7-R which died on the operating table, lol.

I've got everything else, and an 8500 radeon so I wont be needing onboard video or sound. I don't think I'd get an onboard video nforce for myself...not much of a point. Even come retirement for the board I'll probably be ready to retire the 8500...

Anyway, thanks again for the tips, I'll keep them in mind come winter when I do my last Socket A upgrade. :)

Breadfan - U R G E N T !

YO BREADFAN! Listen up!

There's an 8RDA+ for FIFTY DOLLARS at newegg.com Refurbished Items. Better shake a leg and act promptly because it's been there since yesterday morning.

Don't be afraid of their refurbs because you can download all the divers off the EPOX website. I ordered the refurb 8RDA and got it like new in the box with everything and it works great.

Dog gone it, if I didn't already have four MB's I'd get that one because I have a friend who is my old computer Guru and he says where stability is concerned it's the best OC'ing MB he has ever had.

Lol, thanks man, but I'm gonna hold off for right now and see how the Gigabyte is when I get it. Like I said, come winter I'll get some new stuff. Right now that money will be best used to pay off school bills. :)

Breadfan said:

I've been searching around the forums about the 8RDA, it seems like it's discontinued and sorta forgotten about. What did the + version add? Just soundstorm or RAID? Or a different revision?

neither of these board have raid.

Back