• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual Memory error in Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BPM

Occasionally, I will get a "Virtual Memory minimum too low" error in Windows XP. What can I do to remedy this? Will increasing the RAM help out?

Yes, more ram will mkae it swap less, though windows is kind of stupid about using virtual memory anyway....

You can also go to:

Control Panel > System > Advanced > perfromance options > and set the virtual memory size manually in there. Just set the mimimum and maximum to the same value = maybe 200mb to 800mb, depedning on how much ram is in your system and what you use it for.

Arkaine23 said:
Yes, more ram will mkae it swap less, though windows is kind of stupid about using virtual memory anyway....

You can also go to:

Control Panel > System > Advanced > perfromance options > and set the virtual memory size manually in there. Just set the mimimum and maximum to the same value = maybe 200mb to 800mb, depedning on how much ram is in your system and what you use it for.
I currently have 256 MB of PC 3200 RAM. I use it mainly for gaming and multitasking. Since I know nothing about virtual memory, what would be a good setting?

1.5 is a good multiplier.

You could always upgrade to 512mb RAM, that's probably the best way

MuEagle05 said:
1.5 is a good multiplier.

You could always upgrade to 512mb RAM, that's probably the best way
Already been ordered :D Should be here next week.

So should I increase the Virtual to about 384 for now, then increase it again when I get a total of 512 MB of RAM?

Yeah, that sounds good. I'd set it between 700-800 after you go to 512. You shouldn't ever have problems with 512 though.

Back