• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfeinstein

Disabled
im planning to buy a new nf7-s rev 2.0 board and also planning to oc it heavily do you guys have any advice on north bridge cooling or south bridge cooling?
i saw the nortbridge has a fan on do i have to take it off and lap it and put as3 on?
and what about the southbridge any heatsink or fan on that with as3????

pls help with your recomendation.

i also have slk-800u i think that will be a thight fit right??

i have an asus a7n8x but the v-core and v-dimm is so low and since i read this board has high v-core and v-dimm so i could oc it soo much higher.

cant wait to get a rev 2.0 is there any place that guarantees rev 2.0??

thanks

I would definatly recommend some sort of heatsink on the southbridge. You can glue a zalman northbridge heatsink on there or use a couple of smaller heatsinks. No need to actively cool it IMHO.

As for the northbridge cooling well its not half bad. It definatly can be improved upon though. There are a few nice northbridge heatsinks out there, and I have seen a few people zip-tie a smaller cpu heatsink on there. There is a thread on the cooling forum right now I think regardign this very subject.

The slk-800 will fit on there no problemo.

Good luck with the new board. I switched from the asus and I my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner ;)

Do you really feel the SB cooling does anything? I mean, SB is basically just a hard drive controller. Kind of sounds like people putting sinks on mosfets with the, "It's hot therefore it needs cooling" logic.

--Illah

Well most people that have sound crackling issues on the NF7-S seem to partially or fully cure it with cooling on the southbridge so yes I do believe it does something ;)

Regardless I do believe that if its hot cool it is not a bad philosophy. What harm can it actually? None of course. If there is any potential upside and its as simple as adhering a small piece of metal to a chip then why not? :D

The thing that I found rather interesting was that my K7D Master-L motherboard came with sinks all over the place. They obviously felt that there was some benefit to it. Its not a flashy board like a DFI lanparty so I don't think they would be needlessly waste money if it was not warranted.

That's why I'm hearing the cracks! I'm gonna cool this baby right away when I get back to my university room (back home now).

Back