• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo Pc3700 - Some questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
1. I heard some of you got the 512mb sticks from newegg.com, and reported BH-5. Is the 256mb sticks BH-5s as well?
2. How High can you run it in low timings? (2-2-2-5 or so..).
3. What voltage does is take it to do DDR460?

Thx alot.
Suma.

my stick is 256MB, it is also bh-5. i ordered 3 256MB sticks at the same time, all where bh-5. so yes, they are :). Illah has got his new sticks @ 2,2,2,6 225fsb 1.9v. (his thread is "bufallo pc3700 is cas 2.5?") Mine don't seem to do that well, get a couple memetest errors at 2,2,2,6 223fsb 1.9v. dreamy though at 2,2,2,5 220fsb.

J.

no i can't. for some reason i've yet to figure out, my system will not post at speeds 225 and up at any settings. :S. I'm workin on it. lol.

J.

If you really want the best from BH5 memory 3.0-3.1V is required. It can do 460MHz at 2-2-2-5 dual channel at that type of voltage if the mb/cpu are up to it.

i havent tried the 512 sticks but i would like to but i do have the 256 sticks and the pc3700 will do about ddr475 range with about 3.1v
the buffalo really loves voltage so without that you may even have trouble getting stock speeds. I would use the max voltage allowed by your board with this memory. when overclocking ram make sure your ram rails are steady.

His sticks are enough older thay may or may not accurately reflect the current stock at newegg. It would be interesting to know how his perform at 2.9v but don't take it as guarantee the ones you get from newegg will be as good.

460MHz is usually going to require in excess of 3v to realize, and this is fairly consistant amongst BH5 sticks. I think the 256MB HyperX3000 is a touch better than the Buffalo, and the HyperX3200 is a pretty safe bet. But you would have to try each in your rig to really know how much difference there is, and they will all want 3+ volts for best performance.

I see what you mean.
I don't feel like modding my board.
but isn't pc3700 ment for DDR466? so how come it can't run DDR466 @ stock voltage?

Suma said:
I see what you mean.
I don't feel like modding my board.
but isn't pc3700 ment for DDR466? so how come it can't run DDR466 @ stock voltage?

Firstly PC3200 is the highest official standard. I can make a toaster oven and label it PC3700, as PC3700 is undefined and therefore means whatever you make it out to.

Usually the numbers assigned memory assume benign conditions like a single channel Intel chipset. I'm sure the PC3700 would run 466MHz on a P4PE, but dual channel is a lot tougher. Also I believe it is rated at cas3 at an unspecified voltage. Running 2-2-2-5 timings, dual channel, with pat/gat type technologies active is a lot tougher, and the ram will only do at most 440-450MHz on 2.9v under those circumstances. Not wanting to do a volt mod does not change this.

thx man.
so what do you say which ram should I choose to do this:
1. 460MHZ+
2. low timings as possible
3. 2.9v max

is the khx 3200 (non-A) better pick? (looking at the 256 sticks)?

Back