• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s rev 2.0 north bridge fan taking its last screeching breath

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trinitykt133

Registered
If the title doesnt explain it i dont know what will. ;) It seems the bearings on the stock north bridge hs fan are on their way out. i normaly let my box run non stop but i was in the middle of working on it and we left the house. it was off for about 2 hours.(the most its been off since i bought it) when i got back and fired it up the north bride fan made an awful screech until it warmed up. it seems ok for now but im ready to do some work if needed. i have an old hhc-001 copper heat sink laying around and im thinking about using arctic silver epoxy to stick it on the north bridge. i know it may seem like over kill but i figure i can let it run passive and just let excess air from the proc heatsink (slk-7) blow through it. if anyone has any advice or similar experieces w/ their north bridge hs fan please let me know. :)

... it's great to be on this forum.
oh yea just for reference i only had this board for 2.5 months

Last edited:
Yea, that sink will keep you NB nice and cool, but make shure that you let it cure completly beofre you boot your computer back up or the sink might fall off do to the heat :eek:. That is alos a big HS so make sure you have plenty of room around the sink before you accually glue it in place. Have fun trying to get the old NB sink off!!
Chris

Instead of using epoxy to hold it on you may want to consider using zip-ties. Not only would it not be permanent, I would trust it a little bit better ;)

he's saying use zipties to hold it down. you'd wrap the ties around the sink then stick them in the screwholes in the board.

a NB will only put out around 30W of heat. a copper sink would be plenty.

well at any rate thanks for the sugestion Deathknight. i'm sorry i did not use your sugestion but the sink is on. i did use arctic silver epoxy. i do apreciate the sugestion though. well at least now the north bride will run very cool..... and very very quiet :)

yaeh the passive thing didnt last too long. the fan that was origionally on the hhc-001. well i 5 volted it and put it back on. it only spins at 1800 rpm you cant even hear it. :) but it looks so sweet

Here's the pics of the new sink on the north bridge. Please excuse my mess of cables. :) im open to whatever coments you may have
1.jpg

2.jpg

by the way..... yes the fans were running when i took the pics so they may look slighty blurred.

I have the same heatsink(hhc-001) and planning to do the same mod. Have you had any problems with it. Im mostly worried about the weight of the heatsink being too much for just expoxy. but if its holding up for you ill give it a try.

...well I don't think the epoxy will have any problem holding that in place (Plastic Padding's Super Epoxy can lift a car). But the heat sink might tear the NB off the MoBo.

BTW doesn't MoBo just sound great like MoJo from Austin Powers
:D

Back