View Full Version : New Person: Needs Suggestion
10-10-03, 11:37 PM
Well, I am probally going to buy a P-4 2.6C (for overclocking processor and FBS) and the best things I could find with a quick on pricewatch search was this...
What I was wondering a few thing, hopeing you could answer them....
1. Is their "High Performance Cooling Fan (80mm)" worth it? (http://www.smksuperstore.com/404.asp?404;http://www.smksuperstore.com/8074/viewitem.htm# here for picture and specs)
2. "Artic Silver Thermal Compound" is it worth the few extra bucks?
3. MOTHERBOARD! Well, which one would be the best do YOU think? (list on that page)
4. I am not worried about anything elce on their list.
5. Maybe you found a better site with a mobo/CPU combo (I want the same processor)? Well, what is it?
Thanks for helpin the new guy!
Hi, and welcome to the forums! :D
1. Well...from the picture that "80mm high performance fan" looks like a factory heatsink and fan that you would get from a retail boxed P4, so I would not really recommend paying extra for it.
2. Yes, it is very much so worth it. Artic Silver 3 helps to fill the microscopic grooves and valleys on the surface of your cpu and heatsink which helps it transfer heat a little better. You can read an article here (http://www.overclockers.com/articles660/) and here. (http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/roundup/thermal_compound/index.shtml)
3. You mentioned overclocking, so the best bet would be the Asus P4P800 or Asus P4P800 Deluxe. The Deluxe has a few more features to it that you might be interested in. Do a Google search, or a search of this forum and you can probably get more information about each. Both of the these motherboards feature the Intel 865PE chipset, which is something you want to look for in a motherboard.
4. This line left blank intentionally. :p
Highly recommend you check them out, they have very good prices, and an awesome track record for reliabilty and customer service.
Very good prices on cooling products, and they have been recommended to me by other users here, but I have to wait till next week to try them for myself.
10-11-03, 12:04 PM
yeah, I think I am going to go with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe
I only wish it was that dead sexy blue color :-)
if it was blue, it would look nice with my graphics card (red)
10-11-03, 11:15 PM
DFI LanParty I875B
all excellent boards for overclocking. Almost all I865PE and I875 chipsets are good overclockers. As always, your each user's results will vary.
1. Get yourself something decent for overclocking like the SLK-800U/900U/947U/SP-94. Stock heatsink/fan will allow overclocking, but nothing like a good aftermarket one! Zalmann coolers are really good, along with Swiftech.
2. AS3, as stated by PCGUY above, is some of the best stuff you can use. Its truly that good, and even better on the P4/A64 than on the AMD Athlon! (more area to dissapate heat)
3. oh yeah that was beginning of my post heh
5. newegg, svc, zipzoomfly.com (formerly googlegear.com), gameve.com, tcwo.com, those are my first choices and generally the only online retailers that I will buy from (experience with them + excellent prices)
10-15-03, 11:44 PM
I suggest that you avoid smksuperstore (resellerratings.com 2.50 - not too good). SVC (http://svc.com/cooling.html) has the best deal for Arctic Silver 3 ($4.99+free shipping) & some very nice prices for Heatsinks & fans. KD Computers (http://www.kdcomputers.com/) has some great deals on cooling products also.New Egg (http://newegg.com/) is one of the VERY best sellers out there, & you won't go wrong with them. I've used all of these suppliers several times & have never had a problem. I'd also follow the other suggestions by other members here at O/C!
Good Luck! -Dave
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.