• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have you ever used the Award Bios Flash Utility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

B/c I'm trying to take my A7N8X non deluxe with bios 1001e to the newest which is 1007 so I can hopefully get above 170fsb. It won't do squat with this bios.

Well I put the Flash utility on a floppy and the bios on another floppy. I have the flash utilty in the drive when I start up and I hit alt and f2 at the same time and it made it some something that resembled the picture in the manual, but it was frozen. I couldn't type in a thing.

So I turned off the pc. Went to turn it back on and nothing. Well I waited a minute (which seemed like forever) and fired it back up and it came on.

So I re-downloaded the utilty on a new floppy and tried again. On the 2nd attempt it just locked up on a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top left.

Am I doing something wrong?

Only thing I can think of is are the utility and bios I'm flashing supposed to be on the same disk? The way I read it in the manual seems like they should be on separate floppies.

If you are running the main drivers you will not need to start AWARD FLASH. This is automatically run by pressing ALT-F2

You should only have the xxxxx.bin file on your floppy disk.
If you are estill having issues then check your BIOS settings and see if you have an option to turn it on etc. I have the Deluxe version so I'm not sure if you have to turn on the feature or not.

The other option is to go to your motherboard download page at Asus Downloads and install the Asus Update program.

Good luck.

I'm not sure what you mean by the main drivers.

If is press alt and f2 w/o my floppy with the flash utility, it won't don't crap.

Maybe there is something I have to enable in bios. I'm not sure. :(

ok, there are a few things you need to do.

option 1 - a)copy awardflash program to the root of the c-drive.
b)THEN you can hit alt-F2 during( or right after) powerup
c) then have the new BIOS on a floppy to flash it, just follow the onscreen lead.

option 2 a) start up your pc with a start-up floppy, so that you'll get into the DOS-mode, you'll have to do this,( CAN NOT do this in a windows-dos-prompt)
b) then run Award flash program that you have on a floppy, follow the on screen lead.
c) then you will have to point the program to the new BIOS file ( maybe on another foppy, but can be on the same floppy, just make sure it all fits ok)

It's not too hard, just make sure that you have the name written down of everything, but even if ou have the name not completely right, it won't find the file, so you won't really mess anything up.

Oh yes, take out any overclock that you might have, as anything happening during your bios flash will render your board useless.

Successful flash!!! Woohoo!!

Now I booted into Windoze and says found new nvidia nforce2 memory controller and needs drivers.

Do I need to reinstall nforce drivers? :confused:

I just read some other post in this same forum, and before you reinstall them I advise you to read them too, might be a problem with the new bios.

M

Back