• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This Weekend's BH-5 Pricelist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Mechanic2

This list is getting a bit bare, isn't it? -
Winbond BH-5 memory supply is depleting rapidly.

Prices for Week of Febuary 8 - Feburary 14, 2004

Winbond BH-6 chips are lower-speed rated chips (by Winbond) that may need additional encouragement (read voltage) to perform increasingly well. If you are disillusioned with the performance of BH-6-chip memory, low voltage may be the reason. They are hitting the market now (in limited-edition performance memory) due to low demand compared to Winbond BH-5 chips, and, therefore, increased remaining stocks.

Be sure to understand that Winbond BH-5 chips are not magic chips. They will not run super-speeds at super-timings for everyone. Performance varies for everyone. There are a thousand ways how good memory can perform poorly on anyone's system. Increasing the chance of stable performance may involve physically modifying your motherboard and voiding the warrenty of your memory as well as your motherboard. To put it in simple terms, making one's memory perform at the top of ablity is not easy, do not expect it to be. These forums are a good spot to ask questions that will help you get as much out of your memory as your willing to go.

To date, Mushkin is the only company known to have a large stockpile of Winbond BH-5 chips. OCZ has run dry of BH-5 chips, and, accordingly, ended production of their PC-3500 Platinum Limited-Edition run. Whether or not Kingston does access to dwindling quantities of BH-5 chips is rather unknown, and take purchasing their product with such a warning.

The following Mushkin and OCZ memory are promised to have Winbond BH-5 chips throughout their production run. When either company runs out of BH-5, they will pull the product (and not replace it will a new revision).

Mushkin Black Level 2: (Winbond BH-5 Chips)
1x512MB PC-3500 -
2x256MB PC-3500 -
2x512MB PC-3500 -

Mushkin 2-2-2 Special (Winbond BH-6 Chips)
1x512MB PC-3200 -
2x256MB PC-3200 -
2x512MB PC-3200 -

OCZ PC-3200 EL Platinum Limited-Edition (Winbond BH-6 chips)
2x256MB PC-3200 -
2x512MB PC-3200 -

The Mushkin and OCZ modules listed above are promised to have Winbond BH-5/BH-6 chips. Modules listed below are said to be shipping only/mostly with Winbond BH-5 (or Winbond BH-6) chips, but may not.

The following memory should have Winbond BH-5 chips. They have been known only to ship with Winbond BH-5 chips. If anyone knows that they purchased from the following links and did not receive Winbond BH-5 chips, then reply (w/ pic if you can) and they should be removed.

1x512MB PC-3200 -
2x256MB PC-3200 -
2x512MB PC-3200 -

1x512MB -
2x256MB -
2x512MB -

Check "Last Edited" to view how recent these prices are. These are the only known (by myself) memory to be currently shipping with BH-5 memory. If I learn of another currently shipping with BH-5, I will add to this list (and V.V.).

(Coupon) - Use "ANAND" for 10% Discount @ www.Mushkin.com

Caution- Kingston do not promise Winbond BH-5 chips in their modules. Shipments of Kingston memory with Winbond BH-5 chips may cease at any moment, and possibly be replaced with Winbond CH-5 chips without notice.

Last edited by Speed_Mechanic2 on 02-13-04 at 10:18 AM

Last edited:
It's my understanding that you have to get the 3500 Mushkin to get BH5's.

The 512MB HyperX3000s that Lithan got didn't do too well. The 256MB ones have been doing spectacularly. I think if I wanted 1GB of HyperX I'd ante for the 3200 version, it does well.

The Buffalo works almost as well, but won't do as much clock speed as the 256MB HyperX3000 or the 512MB HyperX3200. But if your system design does not result in excessive memory clock it works great, and does quite a bit of clock speed in any event.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
All Black Level 2 PC3200/PC3500 Mushkin memory are assembled with Winbond BH-5 chips.

is that why they are so similar in price? for my money I would get the 3500 simply because its guarranteed a higher speed.

Last edited:
The first one I got A01 did incredible. The two A00 don't do very well at all.

larva said:
It's my understanding that you have to get the 3500 Mushkin to get BH5's.

Nope, as Speed_Mechanic2 said, all Level II Mushkin, whether PC3200 or PC3500 is built with BH-5's.

If anyone has any doubts, just call Mushikin tech support on Monday and they'll give you the straight dope.

Of course they lower the 1gb of Level II PC3500 after i spend $329 on it rather than the $289 its going for now. Love it when that happens.

:mad:

Update.... With a vdimm mod These can do 227 each... the IS7 is giving me a ***** of a time getting them to do it Dual channel though.. Worked up to 280 5:4 Memtest Stable so far.... I doubt prime will be though... this board loses alot in DC Im guessing. Maybe it's heat related as my rooms pushing 90* right now though.

Of course they lower the 1gb of Level II PC3500 after i spend $329 on it rather than the $289 its going for now. Love it when that happens.
To put more salt on your wound I got it for <$220, refurbished, just as good as new.:attn:

my buffalo pc3200 does 230mhz on 2.9v, w/o vdimm mod.
The trouble is that your timings are not as attractive to me.

Last edited:

It is very nice of you to do this Speed_Mechanic2. I will be linking this all over the place...could use to sticky this if it was updated on a weekly basis or something...I got my khx 3200 2x256 bh-5 from a friend for $60 cuz he had like 10 sets of bh-5 just sitting there. I can do ddr 520 2-2-2-5 @3.22v on my 4pca3+ rev2(randomly died and hasn't come back from rma yet) all day long :D

they got some in today.... i picked up the last stick (i wanted 2 and it took me a few minutes to realize it was the last one when it wouldnt let me make the quantity 2)... just keep checking every day... yesterday they were out, then they got some.

and dont rely on the email notification; i signed up for it yesterday and the only reason i checked was because i grew impatient.

total incl shipping and tax (cause i live in NJ) was < $109 (b4 tax + ship it was only $99 )

my advice: keep a newegg window open at all times and just keep checking on it... i know i will b/c i cant deal with nething less than 1gb!!

Last edited:
Back