• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

matched set dual channel memory users -read this!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

this pertains to both buying a matched set dual channel memory and especially a non matched set in dual channel mode. I cant stress this enuff. TEST EACH STICK INDIVIDUALLY IN SINGLE CHANNEL MODE. After having all sorts of brain numbing issues with my ic7, i decided to test my matched set of adata dual channel pc4000 individually. and to my astonishment 1 stick ran like a bat outta h*ll up to about 290 1-1 at 2.8v ( excellent stick). the other absolutely refused to run any faster than 258 1-1 (junky stick). this 30 mhz difference played havoc with my stability and masked itself as all kinds of other problems which led me astray when trying to isloate and trouble shoot the problems..
Now some guys are gonna say see"i told you so",matched sets are a bs ploy to get extra money. however if i didnt buy this memory as a matched set i wouldnt have a leg to stand on cause both sticks run at pc 4000 speeds.. matched sets of memory are guarenteed to run at similar speeds so i have a strong case for replacement. in my opinion the extra 10 bucks was worth it.....
anyway the point im trying to make is the amazing amount of problems thatcan be caused when employing 2 dissimilar sticks of memory in dual channel and trying to overclock it. It causes alot more problems than just stability probs and boot failures..

Yeah, memory must match very well for good results in dual channel mode. The abit will demonstrate this easily. It doesn't matter if they are sold as a matched pair or not, only that they match.

i dont think you have any case for replacment, they are only guarenteed to work at 250fsb in dual chanel. not 251, not 258. only 250, and they do that.

i dont think you have any case for replacment, they are only guarenteed to work at 250fsb in dual chanel. not 251, not 258. only 250, and they do that.

I would respectfully disagree with that statement. The representations that normally accompany matched sets are that they will operate at the same level. Not that they would not have a good argument for saying that we only matched them based upon the specs, but that there is an equally good argument for forcing them to provide a comparatively matched set. Even running at the same frequency I would wager that they produce different performance results.

It is at east worth a try, and as my mentor used to say, if you don't ask, you don't get.":)

so far my dealings with komusa have been pleasant. b4 i buy anything i do alot of homework.This memory was very well priced and i recieved good service. i also paid extra for their hyperram in a dual channel set. this is considered their premium memory. If i went the cheap route and bought 2 unmatched generic sticks from them at a cheaper price and both ran stable at 250, then i would have no complaints.so i believe i have a legtimate reason to ask to exchange them.. last nite when i found out this problem, i emailed them and respectfully put forth my argument and reason for an exchange. based on past experience i think they will honor my request. however if they dont i will post it here and will never buy from them again... But i gotta tell ya that 290 1-1 stick really got my mouth watering, so i hope i can work something out with them....

Archangel8 said:

I would respectfully disagree with that statement. The representations that normally accompany matched sets are that they will operate at the same level. Not that they would not have a good argument for saying that we only matched them based upon the specs, but that there is an equally good argument for forcing them to provide a comparatively matched set. Even running at the same frequency I would wager that they produce different performance results.

It is at east worth a try, and as my mentor used to say, if you don't ask, you don't get.":)
wether you disagree or not, unfortunatly they are matched only to run at their rated speed. it WOULD be nice though, and im sure there would be a heck of a lot more matched pairs sold if that were the case.

james.miller said:

wether you disagree or not, unfortunatly they are matched only to run at their rated speed. it WOULD be nice though, and im sure there would be a heck of a lot more matched pairs sold if that were the case.

true, however they offer 2 kinds of dual channel pc4000. the generic cheaper stuff and the more expensive dual hyper ram.the implied message is the hyperram is of higher quality and therefore better. if they offered only 1 type of pc4000 with no dual channel matched sets then, i believe my argument would be considerably weakened... secondly, i never said to them that i expected both sticks to run up to 290 1-1.my argument was by any stretch of the imagination a 258 and a 290 is not a matched set of memory that i paid a premium for.. hopefully they'll see it my way, cause these guys are a real good source of quality inexpensivepc4000. if not then ill keep the good stick order another stick from some one else and someone's gonna get a great deal on some pc4000 that only runs to 258..

all the means that it is garunteed to do that speed @ tighten timinging, its doesnt garuntee anything else. While it does *suggest* that its better ram, that all goes out the window as soon as you overclock because again its only certified to run at a certain speed.

being a matched pair only garuntees that the two sticks will run at their certifed speed together, nothing more.

Last edited:
Just got a email back from randy lo in tech support from komusa.Even tho, i was past their 30 day return policy and they cant support speeds over what the memory is designed for (250 mhz) he in fact agreed since i bought a matched set and the speeds of the matched sticks were so far apart,he would stand behind his product and let me exchange it for a nominal fee(20 bucks). a reputible company no doubt.....

Last edited:
yep, i only paid 160.00 shipped(for 512), thats is a good deal for high quality pc4000 and they really stand behind their product... i am happy and will do busines wth them again.
both of my brothers run businesses of their own. many companies lose sight that putiing the customer first reaps large benefits from cust loyalty. not to mention additional customers from word of mouth. this comany has not forgotten this basic rule...

Back