• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S 2.0 won't go past 168mhz FSB?! WHY??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wazoo

Registered
Let me start by saying I'm a newbie to OC'ing but have been reading lots...

My system runs nicely with the FSB at 166mhz and a multiplier of 13.5.

However... if I try to raise my FSB past 168mhz, I get a blank screen and long beeps that repeat every 3-4 seconds or so.

Even if I lower my multiplier to 9.5, if I try going over 168mhz FSB, same problem.

I'm running my ram as 2.5-3-3-7 (I think that is the correct way to represent the settings.. :) ).

My only PCI cards are a SB Live 5.1 and a Promise FastTrak 100 RAID controller.

Any ideas??

TIA,

Wazoo

wazoo said:
Let me start by saying I'm a newbie to OC'ing but have been reading lots...

My system runs nicely with the FSB at 166mhz and a multiplier of 13.5.

However... if I try to raise my FSB past 168mhz, I get a blank screen and long beeps that repeat every 3-4 seconds or so.

Even if I lower my multiplier to 9.5, if I try going over 168mhz FSB, same problem.

I'm running my ram as 2.5-3-3-7 (I think that is the correct way to represent the settings.. :) ).

My only PCI cards are a SB Live 5.1 and a Promise FastTrak 100 RAID controller.

Any ideas??

TIA,

Wazoo

Seems that I solved my own problem and I figured I'd answer myself so if any other noobs have th same problem...

By manually setting my FSB-to-DRAM ratio to 6/5, my memory stayed locked at 333mhz and I am able to POST currently at 200mhz FSB with an 11 multiplier.

I am still perplexed, however, why my Muskin craps out at higher speeds....

Wazoo

Try 2.8v, thats basically all you can do.

Also, don't run ratios, keep it 1:1, because that'll give optimal performance for AMD systems.

Semi OT - a FSB/DDR ratio of 1:1, 3:3, 5:5 or 6:6 are all the same right? I know it's a stupid question, but newbie :)

Yea, you know your math! Joking aside; all those ratios are 1:1, whether it's set to 6:6 or 3:3.

In most situations, including yours Wazoo, an assynchronus Bus isn't going to speed you up. Sounds like a piece of your hardware is a dud. Maybe your Barton has bad steppings ,or your NF7 is a just isn't up to par, or possibly it's your ram. Mushkin is great brand of ram and even with PC2700 and the right VDimm you should be able to hit 200 with synchronus speeds. Make sure your chipset is set to 1.7V and try a lower multiplier for testing your FSB because some versions of the Abit NF7 BIOS don't like the 9.5-10 multiplier.

-Overcrocked

Last edited:
Pake said:

Also, don't run ratios, keep it 1:1, because that'll give optimal performance for AMD systems.

Agreed. Your best performance will be running memory in sync. Up the voltage to your ram, loosen the timings etc etc in order to get your memory to handle more speed, but stay at 6:6.

Back