• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rdram - Rimm - Rambus??????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, if you are only using one pair of RDRAM, then you need to use the blank sticks in the remaining two slots to complete the circuit. It's just the way RDRAM mobos are designed.

RDRAM systems are pretty much obsolete now. If you're considering buying an Intel system, get a mobo that uses DDR RAM.

Thanks Batboy. I am not planning on an intel anytime soon just was curious if this was still needed for RDRAM becuase of a post in the AMD area of this forums about a website where this guy is stating intel is this way and AMD is never to be used for this reason bla bla bla etc etc etc etc and from what he was stating I was just wondering how outdated his info was even for the correct intel information he was stating.

Without knowing the details, I'd say his info is probably at least a year out of date. RDRAM was the hot ticket a while back, but now with the i875/i865 chipset mobos using dual channel DDR and the 800 bus P-4 CPUs and super fast RAM, these new Intel systems kick butt on the old RDRAM systems. They also kick butt on almost all the AMD systems too... the exception might be the new 64 bit AMD CPUs, but even then a good overclocked Intel system will be very close in performance.

Back