• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flash disaster, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sanssheriff

Registered
Hi everyone! flash disaster, please help

hi everybody i'm new here and would like to say hey to everyone here. I am also new at overclocking but am really amped about it, and I hope to make some new friends and learn about overclocking here at the oc forums. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem. While flashing my a7n8x deluxe rev2.0 with the c18d1007 bios my pc rebooted before the flash utility was finished. After making a bootdisk with awdflash.exe and c18d1007.bin included, I began the process. The first thing I noticed when begining the flash was the different interface. The Awardflash utility v8.24b presented the choice of "file name to program" which I provided the file name c18d1007. The utility automatically added the .bin extension and began the flash process. As I sat there watching in anticipation and just as the flash was almost finished the pc rebooted. OH *%($. Now when i power on my pc awdbios flash utility v8.24b runs but in the dialouge box for 'message' it reads 'source file not found' and stops, not allowing any user input. My pc specs are below, also I have my pc plugged in to an UPS. I have succesfully flashed both motherboards and video cards with no problems, this is my first disaster. Any input and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

asus a7n8x deluxe rev2.0
xp 1600+ @ 1433Mhz
ATI Radeon 9700 pro
sata seagate barracuda 120Gb
running decombobulated win xp cp sp1

Last edited:
Hi my friend,

Are you sure your have the correct BIOS for your motherboard revision?

Make a clean floppy with only "c18d1006.bin" in it. Yes, it's previous version of the BIOS file. But try it. Maybe your new BIOS file corrupted.

Why don't use ASUS update to flash BIOS? I think it's easy and reliable.

Please post the results here.

yours respectfully... Fallen

stonegolem; it appears that i let mt ego get the best of me this time. I took it for granted (wanting to think i had the latest revision of the baddest 32bit amd based board on the market) that when asus probes dmi explorer was telling me the board was rev2.0 didn't necessarilly mean that the bios was rev 2.0. Anyway i neglected to actually check the bios revision(thats the first and last time that will happen), and ended up flashing the wrong bios.

I finally determined that this was the wrong bios when I visually inspected my bios chip. The first line on the sticker is printed "AN8D4", i determined i should have been using AN8D1007.bin.
I attempted to run the floppy with the correct bios but got the same result ie. "source file not found" in message box of awd flash8.24 and still allowing no user input. I also attempted running awdflash from an autexec.bat with a help switch in the command line to no avail since the a7n8x automatically looks to A: for awdflash.

As far as asus update, I tried to find info on that from asus site, but could find nothing. The only thing I knew was to press alt+f2 which is what i did to begin with and would have worked fine had i had the correct bios.

anyway, thanks for your's and hangtens quick responses (i'm still waiting for asus tech). It helped me calm down alittle and start thinking in the right direction. My board's not dead just diabled for a while thanks to my flash of stupidity (pun intended).

I will definately post whatever it takes for me to get going again, although it appears at this time that that will be merely buying a replacement chip. I could hotflash but dont have a similar board available.

I found a couple good bios related sites in my search for a fix. actually one i remembered from a while back, a great site wimsbios and one i found yesterday, badflash.com

thanks again for your help

asus will probably send you a new chip at little or no charge. Don't worry about it everyone makes mistakes. next time be a little more cautious with bios flashing, its especially easy to do with these nf2 mobo's and all there different versions.

Oh and by the way Welcome to the Forums.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

That aside, www.badflash.com is absolutely great - they have awesome customer support, and they will get you a fresh chip within a few days fo a fair price. I have borked my BIOS SIX TIMES, and I'm still going at it. Don't feel bad - you're just going to be without a computer for a week or so.

Well, after talking to Jeremy at asus bios dept. I decided to buy a new chip. $20US for the chip (flash free), and 20 for overnite shipping.

Now I can concentrate on building my water cooling sys and buy some 3200 corsair, a 2500 Barton and get to oc'n this biotch.:D :pVMOD:p

Thanks for your help, and for the welcome to the forums. I will surely be posting my progress and results.

peace

Back