• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7nnxp/easytune over clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

passion stomper

Registered
right i am doing an overclock on my mobo with barton 2800+ at the min i got...

13x 167 = 2176mhz

now when i use the same multi on easy tune and raise the fsb it shows the pci/agp bus also goes up now i thought that if i set the agp in bios to 66 that it is locked to that but still the pci and the agp goes up now does this mean that the max i should really goto is 36 pci bus but im unsure about my GDA its a geforce fx 5200 ultra PNY so what the max agp bus

i really dont understand bcuz i dont wnt to take pci bus to far and cause corruption on my hdds nor ruin my graphics card

please help is easy tune just wrong and my pci/agp bus is locked but its just reporting something wrong

thanks i wanna go to about atleast 2400mhz but not at the cost of everything else

ps i have the dps in should i take it out i heard its crap??

cheers

passion stomper

EasyTune is crap, its only use is for monitoring temps and even that is dodgy at times. Dont worry about it, if you have the AGP set to 66 in the BIOS it will stay at 66 and the PCI will be 33 whatever you have the FSB. The only way I know to read the PCI/AGP is by hardware ie a scope etc.
Hood

so i can safely go on and overclock and not worry about easytune reporting increased agp pci bus so i wont have to worry about the hdd corruption

cuz im getting a feelin im gonna get a good overclock on this chip as i have been running the temp of 42c idle 47load on 2176mhz and when i had it on 2238mhz and idle 43c load 48c

thanks

Yes you should have no probs, I know its a different mobo I have but its an NForce 2 and they all work the same as far as AGP and PCI are concerned. I ran a Barton 2500 at 9.5x 244FSB and had no probs.
Yes it does look like you have a nice chip there, be sure to post back with your results.
Hood

BTW if it makes you feel any easier you can download http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php and it will show your AGP/PCI in spec. As I said before the only way is by hardware but people seem to feel a bit easier when they see another program giving the correct readings rather than EasyTune showing rubbish.

right i got a bit of a problem i got my memory to 205fsb i got errors so i knocked it back down to 200fsb i tried to boot windows no go it was just a blank screen so what happened there?

i tried raising vcore +5% and raising the cpu voltage to 1.725 then tried to load windows again still black screen!! grrr

so it thought right lower the fsb some more so i did to 197 and again at 195 yay i got the windows boot screen on both but..... it locked up on windows boot screen tried all above with vcore at +5% and dimm +0.2 cpu voltage 1.752 !!! and normal apart from the dimm i left that alone

Hmm <<<scratched my head over this<<<<<< again i lowered fsb to 191 and set every thing back to normal and it loaded windows no prob im running torture test now all ok so far

by the way my multi is at 11.0x on a barton 2800+

so far im running 47c idle and 53c load not too bad i can live with that

so wat i got at the min is 11x 191 = 2113mhz

wat you think guys

thanks

passion stomper

i have got 1gb of pc3200 i think its got the name seitec on it yeh i took 1 out though didnt want to lose both :D

any help ?

PC3000 and above usually requires 2.7v but increasing beyond that should hold no probs. I run my TwinMos PC3700 at 3v and it doesnt get more than warm to the touch.
Next thing is to set the DDR timings to somthing like 11 3 3 2.5. Also try lower the multi down to 10x to see how far you can push the FSB, by doing that you have eliminated the CPU crapping out from the equation.
Hood

yay i got to 200fsb !!! on multi of 10x its only 1992mhz though i havent changed any voltage settings apart from the memory upto +0.2v i left it at that

im running prime95 just to do a quick test temps load 49c

so what you think next step should be as you can tell my first serious go at overclocking :D

thanks

passion stomper

What you really want to do is set the DDR to lax timings as I said above, then set the multi possibly to even lower, say around the 9x mark. Once you have done that then you can start increasing the FSB to see how far you can get that. Once you have the max FSB then its a case of drop the FSB down to 166 and start increasing the multi, testing as you go. Once you have found the max multi increase the FSB slowly and that way you will find the max CPU MHz. You can increase the VCore when you hit your max and you should get a lot further BUT make sure your cooling is up to the task as a small increase in VCore gives a big jump in temps.
Once you have done this you then know the max FSB yur DDR , mobo and CPU can handle and also you will know the Max CPU speed. So from here on its just trying to get the max CPU speed with the highest FSB, eg you will get better performance from 10x 220 than you would from 11x 200.
Another very important thing for the performance of the NForce mobos is to have your DDR and CPU running synchronous, so make sure its set to 100% in the BIOS.
Hood

No I mean a benchmark like Sandra CPU and DDR tests, also I use Toast once I have got my max OC and if it doesnt run for 24Hrs then its not an OC in my book.
You will find all types of benchmarks etc linked from my page http://mysite.freeserve.com/hoodspages/useful_links_page.htm

BTW once you have done a bit of OCing you get a feel for it and can miss out a lot of the steps I detailed above, but for a newbie to OCing its best to do it the long way.
Hood

right i have my multi at 9x my fsb at 211 i did memtest86 test full test loop passed i have just done a burn in test with si soft sandra 2003 and i had full load temp of 46/48c tops just doing a prime95 all ok so far

i aint yet done the tests using the multi and having the fsb at 166 im still doing the max fsb and i am well shocked to be honest that my mem seems to be very stable at 211fsb 422mhz!!

and it only cost me £60 for 1gb pc3200
any suggestions how am i doing?

thanks

No suggestions, your doing GREAT.
Keep us posted on how you do.
Hood
BTW your DDR will probably do a lot more than its supposed to, where it might fall down is when you try and tighten the timings. You will probably get a better system performance from the high FSB with lax timings than you will from the other way round, so its not too bad.
Oh and I wouldnt do all that testing at each increase, just do the Sandra CPU and Mem tests and move on to the next increase till they fail. The time for fine tuning comes when you have found your max and you may just have to drop it back a few MHz.

Hood,
You rock:D
Giving up all the good advice:D

passion stomper, youre in good hands:clap:

Just to add some content of value to the thread, download passmark perf test and run it, It works the entire system all at once, and will let you know real quick if youre pushing too hard.

right i did prime 95 test after sisoft sandra burn-in test passed but it failed on prime 95 after 5 mins now i eventually got it down to 203fsb sems stable been going for 20 mins now not very long but only doin small test then wen i get some where im happy do a full 36hr torture test then ill know :d

thanks anything on the above ;)

Time to get the CPU maxed now I think.
Hood
BTW download Toast youll get the link from my site, its under the SysInfo and Bench heading and I think its says "You sure your CPU Overclock is stable?????".
If you can run that on HighPriority for ten mins then you know your system is at least 99% stable. If you can run for 24Hrs then your OCis 100% stable.

Also the SuperPI 1M test is a quick way of testing CPU and DDR.
Do 32M test and your system is very stable but it takes me 34mins for that test.
Hood

Back