• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox vs. Abit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

I'm considering a mb upgrade (it's more like a change and not an upgrade considering i've got a gigabyte kt600)

What should i get (pros and cons): Abit NF7-S rev2 or Epox 8RDA3+ or Epox 8RDA+ ?

The Epox is cheaper but comes with half of abit's warranty (12 months epox and 24 months abit)

I've seen that the oc's choice tends to be the Abit.

So... oppinions ?

Yeah the OCs choice is the abit, but just because it OCs so well I don't think it lacks in the features or stability department either. SATA raid, onboard lan, soundstorm audio are all great features, and the NF7-S is not exactly pricey (in the ballpark of $115).

Personnaly I hate abit.
the worst q/c I've ever seen.
I've worked in one store and we decided to import some abit mobos to Israel. we got our first 4 mobos shipment, 2 worked gr8 and 2 were dead, out of the box.

if they are dead right out of the box is not such a big problem 'cos they exchange it pretty fast (in warranty)

the price diffrence between abit and epox is pretty significant:
abit nf7 rev2 - 122$
abit nf7-s rev2 - 144$
epox 8RDA3 - 83$
epox 8RDA3+ - 109$
epox 8RDA+ - 128$ (this has a geforce4 mx on-board so that's why it's so expensive)

--> no tax (add 19%)

(at a shop near me...)

EBH said:
if they are dead right out of the box is not such a big problem 'cos they exchange it pretty fast (in warranty)

abit nf7 rev2 - 122$
abit nf7-s rev2 - 144$
epox 8RDA3 - 83$
epox 8RDA3+ - 109$
epox 8RDA+ - 128$ (this has a geforce4 mx on-board so that's why it's so expensive)

--> no tax (add 19%)

(at a shop near me...)

did you mean epox 8RGA+ for $128??? none of the 8rda+'s come with onboard vid

EBH said:

abit nf7 rev2 - 122$
abit nf7-s rev2 - 144$
epox 8RDA3 - 83$
epox 8RDA3+ - 109$

--> no tax (add 19%)

(at a shop near me...)

A quick trip to newegg shows:
8rda3+ - $99.00
NF7-S - $112

Not that large of a price gap, you just gotta get your pricing somewhere else than the neihborhood shop ;) I understand in some countries some brands will be easier to get/cheaper but stateside the NF7-S is not that expensive, well worth the price I think.

hahahaha said:
Epox will have to eat a lot of cereal before they get anywhere close to Abit.

with 6 posts, i'm sure your opinion will be greatly considered... NOT.... not with a post like that.... please post your reason behind your opinion

Let's see:
1. 8KHA+ ... I got two fan headers blown off with a fan that had no problem whatsoever in two different Abit boards. Board could not get sound unless you boot it with speakers plugged in.

2. 8K3A+ ... died after two months of use. First freezes, then Windows corruptions, and eventually dead.

3. 8RGA+ ... "overclocking demon" yet every Abit board I have can kick it's ***, and that includes KD7-E which is "only" KT333.

Epox makes low quality power boards when compared to Abit or Asus. Make sure you know that is the reason they are cheaper.

"Epox makes low quality"

LOL epox is low quality, check abit's QC I'm telling you we've got some dead boards right out of the box.

Abit people poke there heads in everywhere, lol. be warned, the nf7 is the pickiest board i have ever owned. i'm done with it, and i'm done with abit itself.

Avoid Abit, Avoid Abit, Avoid Abit!!!!
my experience is documented here
After waiting for more than 5 weeks I just got myself today an Epox 8RDA3+ from newegg.

Those are exceptions (i hope).... BUT I heard that some boards (nf7) have problems booting windows at higher fsb than stock (even 1mhz)... that problem is supposed to be solved by dissabling something in bios (i think it's called APIC - not 100% sure)

What does that APIC do... why does one need it ?

what happened to mata2974 doesn't seem like exceptions, it seems more like the rule if you have a problem with your board. that's why i'm not going to bother rma'ing my board, i'd rather throw it in the trash.

apic gives you machine more irq's than the standard irq0-irq15.

EPOX is good.

I have two EPOX boards, 8RGA+ and 8RDA OC'ing a 2100 XP and 2500 Barton 2.0Ghz on air and both run like a bandit and have never given one problem. I've had them all up to 2.2GHz but backed them off to 2.0GHz because that's plenty fast for me.

Regarding prices, if you don't need LAN and SATA or some of the other bells and whistles then don't get them and save a "few" bucks. I know, on some boards it's not an option to not get them.

The 8RDA3+ seems to be doing a good job to, $95. at newegg. http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=13-123-198

Also have a Soltek 75MRN-L with a OC'd 2100 and it has been as reliable and stable as EPOX and only reason I put Soltek down is they pulled out of the USA.

Back when I built my first one I used ASUS and nothing but troubles galore and I RMA'd ASUS three times, said heck with this and went Soltek and my MB problems immediately went away.

I know where you're coming from because there are so many fine boards out there it's easy to become bum-fuzzled and right here is a tremendous resource for making the MB decision.

You will find a lot of good info at motherboards.org where you can read reviews, specs, tests, etc. etc. OldBird

Back