• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KV7 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JU571N

I have an ABIT KT600 KV7 motherboard that won't really boot. It powers up normaly but when it gets the detecting hard drives and whatnot screen it hangs. It displays my CPU, but after that it just sits there. It won't let me get into BIOS or boot menu or anything. I've checked all the jumper settings and made sure everything was default, still no luck. Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? I just took a MSI board back to fry's because it was giving me boot troubles, do you think it could be my CPU or something?

Specs:
ABIT KV7
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
2 Western Digital 20 gig hard drives
256mb DDR Corsair ram.

sounds more like it could be something wrong with the connection to the hard drives.

have you tried attaching just 1 hard drive?

try unpluging everything from the board! then reset the c-mos. then atach only basic things needed CPU, RAM, VIDeo CARD, and one hard drive.

the original bios from factory had IDE problems when conecting multipul hard drives. i read it somewere but don't remember

this problem was taken care of with the release of the revison 11 bios. Abit as of 9/22/03 released a revision 12 bios that is on there web sight. you will need to flash these bios.

link to bios download:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?categories=1&model=125

should take care of you!

if not we'll try somthing else

I've tried running it with no hard drives, 1 hard drive, etc and it does the same thing. I'll try to flash the bios, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to since I can't get to the boot menu.

Edit: Can't get into the boot menu to flash the bios. It's like it freezes at the boot screen. It's a brand new board, so it's just defective or something. Thanks for the help, but I'll just take it back to fry's tomorrow and try a different board.

Last edited:
The MSI board would load just fine. I formatted and reinstalled windows but half way through the installation I got a BSOD. I rebooted and it would give me a BSOD saying the bios wasn't ACPI compliant or something, though I know it was since it worked fine before. When I would try to install XP pro again it would give some error about not being able to load some file. I've had an intel board do that before, though I still don't know what caused it.

I just got a gigabyte board and now it's doing the same thing the msi was doing. I switched the ram to a different dimm slot and it got alittle further in set up, went to ntfs.sys instead of the usual setupdd.sys. Think it could be my ram messing it up? I don't have anotehr stick of DDR laying around, or another board that takes DDR to test it on.

Corsair XMS2700

It could be my xp cd too, I'm ognna try installing a different OS and see if it works.

I have noticed that when I dont push the memory into the dimm slots properly they can cause the hang issues you were describing earlier with the KV7.

Update: It was the ram. I got some new ram and everything works flawlessly.

I have a kv7, and recently installed one in a box for someone else, here's a little quirkiness for ya (love the board by the way):
i am not running serial ata, but got an 80g sata for him cuz of the great price. a/w, assembled and installed xp pro fine, via hyperions, other drivers. decide to check out the abit site, see bios 12, which is running on my machine fine. flash his box to12, reboot, goes nuts. hangs at memory sometimes(corsair xms2700), hangs at harddrive detect, after DISABLING sata posts fine, of course without sata can't run his drive. so, flash back to original 11 bios which i track down on taiwan site, everything is fine on his machine now. i haven't had and trouble with my ide drives on bios 12, but his sata drives would hang the bios with rev12, so i would say it has serial ata issues, got that machine sticking to bios 11 until 13 comes out maybe
i'm jealous of that sata, with his aiuhb 2700+ tbred 2.18, winxp boots after the bar goes across the screen 1 1/2 times

hey sonny, cpuz and others detect my fsb up 3mhz over spec and voltage flutters, is this normal for the abit? i don't mind the extra overclock, is cpuz et al just reading it incorrectly?

If you have ENHANCE FOR BENCHMARK = ENABLED that would certainly explain the extra clock. Another thing to look at would be incorrect setting of the SPREAD SPECTRUM by default, the only way to access this would be a modded BIOS to enable all the toggles.

hmmm...dunno, the other box i built with this board does the same thing, diff cpu core, psu, ram. i thought it might be because of the via chipset, i've heard they can have this issue. i noticed that there wasn't a spread spectrum setting, dissapointing. oh well, still think the board is great

Back