• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Preferance: Slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eecon

For dual-pack DDR dual channel modules, does it really matter whether you use slots 1 and 3 versus slots 2 and 4 for i865/875 chipset boards?

On my board, slot 1 is right next to the P4-2.4C CPU, so I'm wondering if the slot 2 and 4 configuration might be slightly better by keeping the two modules farther away from the CPU?

Any opinions would be much appreciated .... Thanks.

There have been a few really weird benchmark results showing SANDRA bandwidth increases by moving from 1&3 to 2&4 or vice versa, and no one quite ever figured out why. IIRC the best situation depended on single- / double-sided memory and/or 512MB / 1GB setups. Try it for yourself and see.

Ok, I just checked. Averaging five runs of the SANDRA mem bandwidth benchmark, results were within 0.6 MB/s of each other between 1&3 and 2&4 on my P4P800. This is not exactly a highly accurate test, but those results are damn close to each other when we're dealing with 5000 MB/s.

Back