• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Okay, without getting into the MHZ which RAM is the best for a dual channel P4c?

I'm thinking Mushkin Level 2, because it has good timings, are the other ones such as Corsair, Geil, and Kingston any match for Mushkin?

"without getting into the MHZ" - now why would you say that? You can't discuss memory without talking about its speed. For example, if you want to run around DDR400, get some Corsair 3200C2 or 3500. If you want to run around DDR466, get some bh5 Buffalo. If you want to run around DDR500, get some OCZ Gold 3700 and overvolt the hell out of it. If you want higher, get some of the PC4200 stuff, but don' t expect decent latencies.

I'm curious as to why you think Mushkin is better, and even more curious as to why you would want to avoid discussing memory speed - both speed and latency are an important choice in purchasing memory, and both relate to the overall plan for an overclock, especially with Intel: you need to figure out what your OC target is and get the memory that best matches your FSB, taking memory dividers and CPU multipliers into account.

I didn't say that Mushkin was better, I was asking if others were better..there is a big difference.

I told you that it was for a P4c so you can kinda guess the FSB speeds can't you.? hopefully it'll go to 250mhz..probably max though. I'm doing this for a friend though.

And the target here is to have good latencies..so what RAM do I need?

Foxie3a said:
I told you that it was for a P4c so you can kinda guess the FSB speeds can't you.? hopefully it'll go to 250mhz..probably max though. I'm doing this for a friend though.
No, I cant guess FSB speeds if I don't know what CPU you're using - obviously the mutipliers make a big difference. But since you say 250 FSB, then I can make recomendations. At 250 FSB you can run 1:1 at DDR500 or 5:4 at DDR400. For 1:1 I would get OCZ 3700 Gold, and for 5:4 I would get Corsair 3200C2. Of course, these may not work as well if you don't quite get to 250 or you can go a little past it. Since I don't know what CPU you're using, I can't tell if 250 is a realistic estimation.

More importantly what kind of system are we talking about??? P-4 hyperthread Intel...AMD AthlonXP, Barton...Might help out if we knew what we are recommending...:)...oops sorry bout that missed the P-4a thang...:eek:

Foxie3a said:
Okay, without getting into the MHZ which RAM is the best for a dual channel P4c?

now, I'm NOT SURE..but I think that a P4c is made by Intel, not AMD..but like I said IM NOT SURE!

and this is a 2.4c multiplier of 12 I think..

Re: Re: Which RAM?

Foxie3a said:
Foxie3a said:
and this is a 2.4c multiplier of 12 I think..
That is correct, the 2.4C has a multi of 12x. It is much easier to talk about memory when you know what CPU you are dealing with...

250 FSB is conservative for a 2.4C, but many chips will only go that high (like mine). So, it is up to you to decide whether to leave 250 as your target (in which case my recommendations above stand) or to assume you will get to a CPU speed of 3200 or 3300 MHz, where you would be running a 275 MHz FSB. If that is the case, you will be hard pressed to find DDR500 memory, and you may want to think about running PC3700 at 5:4, which is DDR440, below the rated speed of DDR466.

ok, so Buffalo PC3700 with a 2.4c @ 250fsb, or maybe a little more...are the timgs good on that ram?

Back