• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead NF7-S or CPU??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wizardloader

Hi folks,

Need some help! This system is giving me fits........here goes.

I ordered MOBO from Mwave NF7-S Rev2. I received Rev! with no guarantee on revision # RMA'ed. Bought second one. DIMM2 had broken ram lock #2RMA.

Finally Rev2 with all its parts. Built pc. Hit power button and all fans leds lights etc lit for bout a second or 2 then nada except LED on MOBO.

Removed CPU.............no burn marks and Artic Silver looked ok with no smell. Re-installed it and same. Everything but MOBO LED flashed, fans turned once and stopped.

I think its the cpu but the re-seller says he tested it on nf7-2 and another mobo with np. He said I fried it or had bad ram or old PS. I informed him it wasn't opened till today and all parts new. Heres what went in the case.

NF7-S, AMD XP Barton Core 3000+400 FSB with xaser 11 HSF, 1024 of Corsair TWINX3200LL cas2 Ram, 80 gig Maxtor SATA HD, 500watt Enermax ps, DVDR, Radeon 9800 pro. ETC.

Retiler insists I burned this cpu out. It never cycled. This isn't my first pc by any means.

I need your feedback. Is it the MOBO or cpu?

THANKS!!!
:eek:

Try to test CPU and MEM in other mobo, if you dont have one to test it try asking a friend for one ;) thats what I would do

Could very well be the motherboard.

Try to test the CPU and memory in a known good motherboard, powered by a known good power supply. Just because a part is new and a good name brand doesn't mean it works, so you need to test with parts that you know work 100%. If the CPU and memory test fine, connect that good powersupply to the NF7 and test that. If you don't have access to other parts, go to a computer shop and ask them to test it for you (ask that they do it in front of you, just to be safe). It will cost you a few $'s, but it will be worth it to find out what the problem really is.

However, I would say it is the motherboard based on what you have said. I have a nf7-s, actually on my second one, #1 was RMA'd, and due to that and the reading I did about NF7-S problems I am not overly impressed with Abit's quality control - and their RMA department is filled with the most inept people on the planet. The problem I had was alittle different than yours. I had the two-toned alarm and no boot.

I got some great service at Bestbuy on a similar problem...They tested my CPU right in front of me and it was fine so I sent mobo back to newegg for refund and got another ... No problem..Props to the guys at bestbuy for helpin a guy out no charge.

Also suggest setting your mobo up on a piece of cardboard or whatever and making sure ther are no shorts..PSU is also a possible culprit...try one stick of ram at a time...ie go through the process of elimination as thorougly as possible and good luck your due some it sounds like.

Did the one stick of ram, once in dimm2 then dimm3 no change. Hooked ps to old kg7 running system. It worked ok.
If I fried the ram and vid card with a bad mobo its gonna really hurt. I already RMAed the cpu cause I had a celoron 900 once DOA that did exactky the same thing. The cpu seller says hes never had a doa cpu in 5000 cpus. That cpus never doa that they don;t just go bad. Plus he claims it was tested on 2 boards. Then he started telling me how many ppl say its DOA but they broke it, or cheated him
Seems like that 5k plus processors some DID return them

I have experienced a similar situation. In my case it was the power supply. I had an OK no-name power supply in my old TBird system. It would not run my new TBred system. I would hit the power button and the fans would make about one one turn and then nothing would happen, no harddrives, just power LED. I put the PSU back in my TBird setup and things seemed to run OK again. I sold the TBird system (with the old PSU) to my place of business and within a week the PSU started flaking out again. Sometimes it would do the same thing with the fan again, sometimes it would just shut off for no reason after about an hour or so. I replaced it and have heard no other complaints.

Sooo, I think that this is a sign that the PSU is on it's last leg.

On another note, my brother killed his brand new CPU. He simply got confused as to what a thermal pad really was.:eek: The AS3 instructions said to remove all thermal pads from the CPU, so he did. All four of them.;) I think the heatsink touched one of the caps on top of the CPU since it did not have any supports. It only worked for about two minutes.

Anyway, my point is this; the CPU may not look damaged even though it is. I always thought that I could see the damage if a CPU got zapped. This is not always true. There was no high temp. in this case either. (He was watching the BIOS temp screen when it froze).

Also, I tested his CPU out on my system, which was a mirror of his. Yes, the CPU was dead, but the fans and harddrive still continued to run.

If you take a working system and remove all of the RAM, it won't POST, but the fans and harddrives still spin. If the fans spin and the harddrive does not, then you may be back to a mobo problem. Do your case fans still work OK? If the only fans that do not work are connected to the mobo, I would say the mobo is bad. Otherwise, I still think it is the PSU. Hope it helps,

Randalthas said:
I have experienced a similar situation. In my case it was the power supply. I had an OK no-name power supply in my old TBird system. It would not run my new TBred system. I would hit the power button and the fans would make about one one turn and then nothing would happen, no harddrives, just power LED. I put the PSU back in my TBird setup and things seemed to run OK again. I sold the TBird system (with the old PSU) to my place of business and within a week the PSU started flaking out again. Sometimes it would do the same thing with the fan again, sometimes it would just shut off for no reason after about an hour or so. I replaced it and have heard no other complaints.

Sooo, I think that this is a sign that the PSU is on it's last leg.

On another note, my brother killed his brand new CPU. He simply got confused as to what a thermal pad really was.:eek: The AS3 instructions said to remove all thermal pads from the CPU, so he did. All four of them.;) I think the heatsink touched one of the caps on top of the CPU since it did not have any supports. It only worked for about two minutes.

Anyway, my point is this; the CPU may not look damaged even though it is. I always thought that I could see the damage if a CPU got zapped. This is not always true. There was no high temp. in this case either. (He was watching the BIOS temp screen when it froze).

Also, I tested his CPU out on my system, which was a mirror of his. Yes, the CPU was dead, but the fans and harddrive still continued to run.

If you take a working system and remove all of the RAM, it won't POST, but the fans and harddrives still spin. If the fans spin and the harddrive does not, then you may be back to a mobo problem. Do your case fans still work OK? If the only fans that do not work are connected to the mobo, I would say the mobo is bad. Otherwise, I still think it is the PSU. Hope it helps,

Thanks.

Thought of that. the psu is as everything in case is brand new. Will try another psu from my tbird system but I think its something else. I had this happen with a 900 celeron. DOA. Nothing worked but the fans turned once just like this. Got new cpu and np.

What happens when power is on is the psu lights up (UV lit psu) the fans start to turn then all but led on mobo stop. Abit thinks its Mobo short or bad cpu. They also suggested plugging in another psu outside of case and see if it lights up.

Back