• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems OCing: P4C800-E & 2.4-C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gurk

First of all, hey to everyone. My 1st post at this forum, earlier I have just been reading posts, now its time to write some myself :)

Ive assembled my new computer and been settig it up the past few days, now I havent been doing anything that has to do with overclocking since duron was new on the market, so im pretty rusty! ;)

First off, some system specs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Processor: P4 2.4-c (800fsb, ht)
Cooling: Thermalright SP-94 + Papst 90mm
Dual-DDR: 2x Corsair XMS3200LL 256MB PC3200 32Megx8, CAS 2-2-2-6-T1 (factory defaults)
HDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 (striped SATA-raid)
GFX: Saphire Radeon 9600Pro Fireblade edition
Power: 360W chieftec.

I have no CDs, floppys and only 3 extra 80mm fans.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When trying to OC, I can MAX raise the FSB 12-13 (FSB 212-213) before the system goes black on reboot, then I hafto reset the CMOS and start over.

Ive tried some different approaches to solve the problem however, I guess all are wrong ones.
Ive increased the CPU-voltage aswell as the memory and AGP-voltage, did not help at all and I went to pretty high levels (not sure exactly how high I went, but I still didnt notice ANY change at all when increasing voltage)
Ive also tried locking the PCI to 66.6MHz, didnt do any difference.

I did some more settings in the bios, however I am not 100% what I did change, and being at work atm, ill most likely just mess the terms up.
I know I havent tried shutting down functions such as onboard LAN, audio or raid-controllers, maybe this affects the result pretty hard?

ATM, I really appreciate ANY thoughts, suggestions etc. I really wanto get atleast somewhere, I think my system should be able to pretty faar.

Sidenote: havent changed timings at all, havent found the correct place in bios to do so, however I read something about that on another post at this forum, so im gonna try to find it again so I can manipulate timings.

Thanks in advance to all who answer!

First off you need to max out your memory voltage to 2.85 That's the reason your not booting after 213 fsb. Your mem is being increase by the same amount and it's only rated to 200 mhz. It can probably do 220+ with more voltage. Once you've seen how far you mem can go at 1:1 Mem to CPU ratio you will have to use dividers . On ASUS they are somewhat camoflaged in bios. But you will find them listed as 400 320 and 266. they are respectively 1:1 5:4 and 3:2. which means for 250FSB on cpu (which would put you at 3ghz) your mem be running 200mhz on 5:4 setting which for ASUS is 320 setting in bios. Use dividers to keep your memory from being pushed beyond it's max speed. Your 2.4C should be capable of running at 275+fsb with that cooling which is 3.3ghz +........Find your max mem speed ..find the dividers , do the math and have fun.

Last edited:
climbski said:
First off you need to max out your memory voltage to 2.85 That's the reason your not booting afte 213 fsb. Your mem is being increase by the same amount and it's only rated to 200 mhz. I can probably do 220+ with more voltage. Once you've seen how far you mem can go at 1:1 Mem to SB ratio you will have to use dividers . On ASUS they are somewhat camoflaged in bios. But you will find them listed as 400 320 and 266. they are respectively 1:1 5:4 and 3:2. which means for 250FSB on cpu (which would put you at 3ghz) your mem be running 200mhz on 5:4 setting which for ASUS is 320 setting in bios. Use dividers to keep your memory from being pushed beyond it's max speed. Your 2.4C should be caable of running at 275+fsb with that cooling which is 3.3ghz +........Find your max mem speed ..find the dividers , do the math and have fun.

Ah there we go, might have taken memory voltage up to little.
Well then ~2.85 it is and dividers here I come ;)

Thanks climbski!

Yeah man i have the same board, mem, and chip as you do. Set your DDR frequency to 320, also some good timings i have got @ 269fsb are 2-3-3-6...i know its not the greatest oc, but i dont want to sacrifice mem bandwidth for clockspeed, and it needs to be rocksolid - prime95 for 24hrs+, as my machine is used primarily for large audio apps - ie rendering big projects with audio and video together.
so yeah set you memory like that and load the fsb up till you need more voltage.
I have been told numerous times not to have these 2.4C's with northy cores @ more than 1.7 or so Vcore - they tend not to keep as well.
Good luck

Been working pretty good, got to 235FSB working @ 24hours cpuburn using 1:1 divider and crappy timings (just to find max).

When going 320 on mems, I get as much as 265, however, that is with crappy timings so im not sure how much I can get when I put timings back to normal.

Been thinking and planning a voltmod for the mems, should help to raise the FSB more, or perhaps get better timings at the speeds im at ATM.

Back