• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decreased memory efficiency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hatkeeper

Disabled
Hi, I just bought 2 x 512mb of kingmax PC3500 and tried to pump the fsb as high as possible. So I boot at 200 and I got sandra memory about 29xxmb/s, then I went up to 210 and i got the same score in sandra, I tried 217 and there is just a black screen and no post. From 200 to 210, sandra reported my memory eff drops from 92 to 88%. What can be the problem? Should I add some cooling to nb, sb and mosfets and increase chipset voltage? should I try the L12 mod on the 1700+? Please help out...

I've seen that characteristic a few times near what appears to be the edge of stability. I assume you've increased memory, chipset and cpu voltages to try and go beyond the problem? If not you need to try those variations to see what is producing the limitation.

it seems to me like 2x512 is capable of less memory efficiency than 2x256

DC
CPU Interface Enabled

and i believe that the speed of your CPU (mhz) also affect efficiency.....i read that in some thread here...

-=TriX-R4-KidS= said:
DC
CPU Interface Enabled

The cpu interface will effectively tighten the memory timings and this does show improved bandwidth and efficiency. If you're on the edge of stability associated with the memory or chipset, a change in the cpu interface may cause a post or boot problem. That isn't necessarily bad since it does give you info. Certainly worth a try as TriX suggests. :cool:

well, DC and CPU interface is enabled to begin with, mabye my timing is not low enough, the Kingmax ram is rated at 2.5-4-4-8 at 217, and I am running it at 200.

Guess like deeppow said, something is reaching the limit, probably not the ram since they're rated at 217 and I saw a review ran 230 at 3-5-5-8. Maybe is the 1700. Oh well, I need a new PSU before I can add more volt to anything...

lol :p

rock on with the kt-436 :attn: i love that case

but yea it doesnt look like your ram, it should do at least 217 at the rated timings (i hope). maybe your mother board is a dud

Back