• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my old cpu and memory work in a new motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul Phillips

Registered
Hi,

My A7V seems to have died, came home switched it on and nothing happened, swopped all the bits out, tried another known working processor and got nothing.

My system is A7V, 133FSB 1.4GHz athlon, 2 x 256MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial RAM, Geforce 2 GTS, soundblaster live 4.1, 3com 10/100 network card.

I'm pretty much settled on the A7N8X/DLX Rev 2 as the new motherboard ( I like Asus and AMD but not too struck on VIA so I'll give Nvidia a go).

Ignoring performance issues (i.e. old components holding it back) am I right in the following as far as upgrading to the A7N8X is concerned :

My old 1.3GHz will still work if I want.
PC133 memory will not work as SDRAM not supported, only DDR.
What about my Geforce 2, I've read about 3.3v and 1.5v AGP cards, for new mbs must be 1.5v, what voltage is mine likely to be?
Am I right in thinking that as the A7N8X comes with built in 5.1 audio my 4.1 live is now redundant? Not likely to produce higher quality sound than the onboard chip?
My very expensive 3com 10/100 card is similarly pointless?

Plus my current PSU is 250W, what's the current AMD approved rating for a 2.8GHz athlon xp?

Also as just about all new motherboards (including the one I want) now come with built in sound (plus maybe other things), what do I do about the fact the backplate on my case doesn't have the holes in it for these connectors. The backplate is separate from the rest of the case and when I bought the case it came with both an AT and ATX backplate in case I used an AT board. Is the backplate rectangle a standard size or am I going to have to see if I can find the original case manufacturer and ask them?

Sorry for all that, Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Your old processor will still work :)

Your old memory won't work (SDRAM) :(

Your GeForce 2 will work fine (I used to have that one too).

Your Sound Card and LAN card are useless - the board comes with 5.1 surround, and two LAN ports (one of which is a 3COM coincidentially).

Your PSU will be inadequate - try for at least a 350W of a known brand name (Fortron, Antec for instance).

And the backplate rectangle is standard (I too upgraded from an ASUS A7V-266-E when it died ;)) - your new motherboard comes with a new backplate that will fit in there and replace the old backplate.

Have fun with the new board!

The above response pretty well covers it. I would just add that, since you're looking at nForce2 anyway, you might want to consider getting one with integrated video, since that will be a significant upgrade from your GF2, and will only cost a few dollars more. In fact, you could probably sell your current video card and that would more than cover the cost differential.

Back